Chapter 6: Ron's Howler and Professor Lockhart

Start from the beginning

He was taken out of his musings by McGonagall, who was passing out the schedules for the week. Harry takes his and looks at his schedule. He saw that he had double Herbology with the Hufflepuffs first. Harry, Ron and Hermione left the castle together and headed down to the greenhouses, where the magical plants were kept. He spotted students waiting outside the greenhouses, so they went to stand with the others. Sprout came striding across the lawn, accompanied by Gilderoy Lockhart. She had an armful of bandages. With another twinge of guilt, Harry looks at the whomping willow in the distance. The whomping willow now had several branches in slings. Sprout's robes were covered in dirt and wore a patched hat over her fly away gray hair. Lockhart, on the other hand, was immaculate, in robes of turquoise. His golden hair shining under a matching turquoise hat with gold trimmings. Lockhart spots the students and said, "Oh, hello there! I've just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a whomping willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is! I just happen to have met several of these exotic plants on my travels." Sprout said, sounding disgruntled, "We're going in greenhouse three today!" Students murmur to one another. They never been in greenhouse three before. They always worked in greenhouse one. Greenhouse three housed more interesting and dangerous plants than the other 2 greenhouses. Sprout unlocks the door to greenhouse three, and immediately Harry caught a whiff of damp earth and fertilizer. Harry was about to go inside with Ron and Hermione, when Lockhart's hand shot out, stopping him. Lockhart said, "Harry, I've been wanting a word. You don't mind if he's a couple of minutes late, do you Professor Sprout?" Sprout's scowl said otherwise. She looked like she did mind, but Lockhart said, "That's the ticket!" Lockhart, then proceeds to shut the door in Sprout's face. Lockhart said, shaking his head, "Harry, Harry, Harry." Harry didn't have clue what Lockhart was on about, so he decided to stay quiet. Lockhart continues, "When I heard, well, of course, it was all my fault. I could have kicked myself." Harry was about to say that he didn't have a clue what Lockhart was going on about, when Lockhart said, "I don't know when I've been more shocked. Flying a car to Hogwarts! Well, of course, I knew at once why you'd done it. Stood out about a mile!" Lockhart continues, "I gave you a taste of publicity, didn't I? I gave you the bug. You got on the front page of the paper with me and you couldn't wait to do it again." Harry said, "Oh no, Professor, see...." Lockhart cuts him off as he reaches out and grasps Harry's shoulder. He said, "I understand. It's natural to want a bit more, once you've had the first taste. I blame myself for giving you that, because it was bound to go to your head. But see here young man, you can't start flying cars to try and get yourself noticed. Just calm down, alright? There's plenty of time for all that when you're older. Yes, yes, I know what you're thinking! 'It's alright for him, he's an internationally famous wizard already!' But when I was twelve, I was just as much of a nobody as you are now. In fact, I'd say I was even more of a nobody! I mean, a few people have heard of you, haven't they? All that business with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named!" Lockhart glances at Harry's lighting -shaped scar on his forehead. He said, "I know, I know, it's not quite as good as winning Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile Award five times in a row, as I have, but its a start, Harry. It's a start." Lockhart gave Harry a wink and strode off. Harry stood there, watching Lockhart go. Lockhart had it all wrong about him. He didn't want more publicity, he wanted the complete opposite. He was getting tired of people staring at him and his scar. He didn't want to be known as the boy who lived. After a few minutes, he realized that he was supposed to be in Herbology. So, he opens the door to the greenhouse and slips inside.

Sprout was standing behind a bench with a big pot, when Harry took his place next to Ron and Hermione. There were 20 different color earmuffs on the table, one for each student. Sprout said, "We'll be repotting Mandrakes today. Now, who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" As usual, Hermione's hand was the first in the air. Sprout calls on her. Hermione said, "Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative. It is used to return people who have been transfigured or cursed, to their original state." Sprout smiles, "Excellent! 10 points to Gryffindor! The Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also dangerous. Who can tell me why?" Hermione's hand just misses Harry's glasses, as it shot up in the air again. Sprout calls on Hermione once more. Hermione said, "The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it." Sprout said, "Precisely! Take another 10 points. Now, the Mandrakes we have here are still only seedlings." She points to a row of deep trays. The students moved forward for a better look. A hundred or so little plants, which were purplish green in color, were growing there in a row. They looked normal to Harry so far. He wonders what Hermione meant by the "cry" of the Mandrake. Sprout said, "Everyone, take a pair of earmuffs." Students grabbed a pair of earmuffs closest to them. Sprout continues, "When I tell you to put them on, make sure your ears are completely covered. When it's safe to remove them, I'll give you the thumbs up. Right, earmuffs on." Sprout puts on a pair of earmuffs, rolled her sleeves back, grabbed hold of the plant firmly and pulled hard. Harry gasps, instead of roots, a small muddy and very ugly baby, popped out of the earth! The leaves were growing right out of his head! He had pale green, motted skin and was clearly crying at the top of its lungs. Sprout took a large pot from under the table and plunged the Mandrake into it. She begins to bury him in dark damp compost, until only the leaves were showing. Sprout dusted off her hands, gave them all a thumbs up and removes her earmuffs. She said, "As our Mandrake are only seedlings, their cries won't kill you, yet. However, they will knock you out for several hours. So, make sure your earmuffs are securely in place while you work. I'll signal you all when its time to pack up." Sprout looks around and said, "Right, 4 to a tray. There is a large supply of pots here. Compost are in sacks over there. Oh, be careful of the Venomous Tentacula, it's teething." She sharply slaps a spiky sharp vine that was sneaking over her shoulder. Harry, Ron and Hermione, were joined by a Hufflepuff boy, whom Harry recognized by sight, but never spoken to him. He said brightly, "Justin Finch-Fletchley." As he shook Harry's hand. He continues, "I know who you are, of course, the famous, Harry Potter. And you must be Hermione Granger, always top in everything." Hermione smiles as he shook hands with her. He shakes hands with Ron as he said, "Ron Weasley, Wasn't that your flying car?" Ron didn't feel like smiling, but shook hands with him just the same. The flying car was still on his mind. Harry said, "My last name is Snape, now." Justin smiles, "Oh right, Professor Snape adopted you didn't he? I almost forgot. Sorry, Harry." As they fill the plant pots with dragon dung compost, Justin said, "That Lockhart is something, isn't he? Awfully brave chap. Have you read his books? I'd have died of fear if I'd been cornered in a telephone booth by a werewolf, he stayed cool and zap, just fantastic!" Justin continues, "My name was down for Eton, you know. I can't tell you how glad I am that I came here instead. Of course, mum was disappointed, but since I made her read Lockhart's books, I think she's begun to see how useful it'll be to have a fully trained wizard in the family."