Chapter 15

I sat on the red and yellow cotton that lined my bed. The servant wheeled around and apologized. She did it as fast as she was moved.

Arranging a bath, setting up the makeup on the dress table; she was busy making sure I harboured no complaint. 

This one was different from the one in the hall, her hair was longer and more unkempt. She was not as polished like the first one.

Also, this one was impure like me.

The slaves I usually saw in Ascus were impure. I think that was how specific families paid off their debt to society and gained freedom for their children. 

Sometimes I forgot what it was like to see an enslaved servant. 

They were not a frequent occurrence back home in Ascus. Even as the wind blew pass the linen cloth that covered the window behind me, I was still hot. 

Twelve years ago, there was a war between the nations. Well, it might have been a war in some people’s eyes. My father merely sneezed at it. 

A simple cold it was. They were warring over a fort that neighbored Baska, and the deadlands leading into Elam.  

Big Rock. 

It was an important fort, for it was the only entrance between the high mountainous lands of Ascus' North-West that were frequented by ocelots and huge birds of prey.

Ascus' land was further east back then, but it became lost over time. The sickness that was the encroaching death of Elam scared them into moving the land borders inward. 

No territory, except Amoth was right next to the Elam border; the land of demons and witches. It was forbidden to go there. Father warned me of that place. 

Anyways, Ascus and Eathen had some scuffles over Big Rock for a year and my father let it go for some sea trade route clearance. 

A knock was heard on the door. The servant strode forward forgetting a long stool was in front of her. She collapsed head first and dropped onto the floor. I groaned, what was wrong with the enslaved idiots in this place? 

Were all the enslaved clumsy like this? This was why I did not like slavery. It produced quantity not quality. 

“Come in." I stepped up to this servant, laid my hands on her shaking arms and drew her level. The servant was surprised at this. She tried to shake herself out of my grip, but I held her firm. 

“Carmine, did this servant anger you?” It sounded like Para. 

My face might have looked angered, but I was pitiful of this enslaved girl’s plight. She was not built for service in a royal keep much less any lowly noble house. 

The life of retainer to a noble was a hard and strict life that was not for any random fool. 

If It was me, this keep would be ran way better than this. I patted the girl and wagged my finger in her face. “Are you alright?” 

She struggled. “Ye-yes my Lady, my apologies.” 

“Be more careful, I do not want you to break anything in here, understand?” 

The girl nodded and did a curtsy. “Yes my Lady.” 

I smiled at her trying at least. The girl curtsied at Para, twirled and left to go toward the bath. 

Para now beside me, smiled. “You are still a kindled soul like I remember you.” 

I sighed. “Me? You sure?” 

Para laughed and her hair rocked behind her. The sparks of light reflected off the smooth outline of it. “You are. I am sure you are still praying, I know I ain’t.”