#17 : One last thing

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Sure, that was not something you and Mac had never talked about. You both wanted it in the future, but the « when » question didn't really get answered in depth. Nevertheless, you couldn't stop your brain from imagining the family that could be yours, the perfect dad you knew Mac would be.

*Ding ding, ding ding*

The time was up, your palms a little sweatier. You came closer to the sink where was laying the white and deep blue plastic stick, not really ready to flip it.

Closing your eyes while grabbing it, you whispered : « 3, 2,... »

« Honey? Where are you? » MAC, CRAP.

No time for a countdown anymore. You needed to know, no matter what the result was. With an almost bursting heart, you turned it over.

Positive.

You brought a hand over your mouth, tears welled up in your eyes.

« Y/n? Is everything alright? » asked Mac as he gently knocked on the door.

You took a deep breath, hoping he wouldn't notice something in your thick voice: « Yes, don't worry. »

Thinking about it, you preferred waiting for the doctor's call and be 100% sure before telling Mac. You didn't want to create a false alarm, maybe disillusioning him. Wiping out your face, trying to hide your feelings before going out, you couldn't erase your smile.

You put the test in the overflowing laundry basket and opened the door.

The concern was clear on Mac's face. « You threw up again? » he asked, rubbing your arms.

« No, just freshened up a little. » Attempting to reassure him, even though you knew what these glamour incidents were now.

You made your way to the kitchen to get a snack. On your tiptoe, you were trying to grab the pack of chocolate chip cookies. Mac got it for you and left a soft kiss on your neck.

You turned around and he put his hands on your waist, pulling you closer: « I missed you ».

« We were together for a week non-stop! » you replied, laughing. Completely unable to look him in the eyes, having the feeling that it was written on your forehead.

« You know that's not what I meant. » You gave him a quick kiss and asked about how it went with Matty. Hoping it would change the conversation.

The rest of the day consisted in constantly checking the clock and avoiding Mac.

——————————

The sun was just starting to set when you felt the buzzing sensation of your phone in your pocket almost gave you a heart attack. Fortunately, you forgot to turn the ringer back on, so Mac didn't hear it.

You quietly slipped out of the house, making sure to close the door behind you. Once in the backyard, you slid the screen and answered the call.

« I've just got your results and everything is fine. I also have to congratulate you... » That was all you needed to hear. Emotion made the rest of the conversation hazy and difficult to follow, it was real.

How am I going to tell him, you thought. You wanted something special, but not too much. Happily, you're used to improvising. First things first, you needed an alibi. You wouldn't go out after a 20 hours flight for no reason.

Scrolling through your contacts to find Riley, you typed: « If Mac asks, could you tell him that I'm with you? »

As always, she replied within seconds: « Yes, but why? Is something wrong?! »

« I'll explain later :) », adding a smiley to lighten the need of a clarification.

You took your bag, grabbed your keys and before Mac had time to say anything, you yelled: « Riley needs me. I'll be back in an hour. »

——————————

On your way back home from the store, you called Jack as he never replies to text: « Could you ask Mac to fix your fridge, like now? »

That was the best excuse you could find.

« It isn't brok— Oh, I see. A surprise? » What he had in mind was certainly miles away from the truth.

« Classified information. »

« Got you. » Grateful that he didn't ask more, you thanked him and hung up.

Three minutes later, Mac texted you that he was on his way to Jack's place because of a fridge problem. Now, it was time to settle all this up.

——————————

The smell of onion and garlic perfumed the whole kitchen. Tonight, you decided to ditch the convenient canned product for a homemade meal. Let's be honest, nothing too difficult, just spaghetti.

You tasted the tomato sauce and assumed it needed more spices.

« Babe, could you give me the salt and pepper please? » you asked Mac who was adjusting the sound of the music while waiting for the water to boil.

As he got closer to the cabinet, you could feel your whole body becoming a giant ball of tension and excitement.

Chewing on your bottom lip, you turned around to see his reaction when he would open the cabinet door.

« That's for me? » he asked, holding a little brown kraft box.

You nodded, unable to produce any word.

Mac removed the cover and smiled. « A small Swiss army knife! Thank you babe! » That was the tiniest you could find, didn't even know it existed. « You always think ahead, don't you? ». « Not always » you thought, amused.

He walked towards you and gave you a warm hug. « I still don't get what's the occasion. I feel bad I've nothing for—» As he put his arms around you, a noise came from the box, as if something was left inside.

He looked questioningly at you, but you remained silent. Your cheeks were burning, that was the moment.

He took a step back and carefully inspected the package, quickly finding the false bottom.

« What? » He blinked several times, his mouth opened.

He then took the test out.

« Is that a—, is that for real? » Mac froze and stared at you with wide eyes.

Simply, the happiness created a bright smile on your face and you replied: « Yes » The tears you were holding back since this afternoon were now flooding your cheeks.

A smile that reached his eyes made appear dimples. Mac hastened to reduce the space between you and took you in his arms.

All of a sudden, he loosened his embrace: « Are you okay? I hope I didn't cuddle you too hard! » You laughed, holding him tighter than before.

The two items still in his hand, he said: « That was so clever, it took me some time to understand haha. »

Trying to take a serious look you told him: « Let's be clear, he won't have this until he's at least twelve. »

Amused, Mac replied: « So, you think it's a boy? »

You playfully shrugged. You had never seen him like this, he was over the moon.

« We are really having a baby!! » he yelled.

Enjoying this amazing feeling, you replied: « We are. »

He put the Swiss army knife in his pocket and looked at you, always a hand on your waist. He tilted his head and his lips came closer to you. « Y/n sorry to tell you this, but in a couple months you will no longer be to only love of my life. »

A second before kissing you, he added: « I love you. »