Act 2: Kazuki's Secret

"What is it, Yukio?" Balthier asks, his voice a bit raspy.

Oh dear. Is this heaven? Did everyone die?

     "Kazuki's patch..."

     The boy takes it from the table. It was definitely Kazuki's- it still had a yellow stain from when Vex Vega painted. It smelled like him, too...not like Yukio smelled things randomly.

     "Are you dead?" Balthier asks, looking worried.
     "No. We thought you were dead."

     "Oh...oh dear-what on earth..?"

     Balthier examines his arm, fear taking hold. Nothing is left but a nub, one that hasn't completely healed yet. A cloth is wrapped around it to keep from infection.

     "M-my arm...it's gone?"
     "The person who attacked you cut it off. You died from blood loss-"

     "Where's Lancelot?! Is he alright?!"
     "Of course. He's completely distraught over your supposed passing. You should-"

     Balthier is already out of the bed, robes nearly tripping him as he makes his way to Lancelot's bedroom. He swings the door open, looking directly at the man.
     Lancelot turns around in shock, his eyes pink from crying. He clutches a pillow to his chest. It reads the name 'Balthier' embroidered in red. The man sniffles.

     "Love...ly?"
     "Beauty? I'm okay-"

     Lancelot leaps into his lovers' arms, tears coming once again. They hold each other close, squeezing tightly as if the other would be ripped away (Balthier had to do this with one arm).

     "How...are you-"
     "I don't know...I'm alright though, dear, look! I'm alive! Oh, dear, don't cry..."

     Balthier starts to cry himself, tears wetting his lovers' silk robe. Yukio stands quietly in the doorway, watching as the emotions unfold. 

They cry because of happiness? You only cry when you're sad...at least, I thought you did. 

     He only smiles and heads towards the nursery again. He looks down at the white cotton patch-it looks like it had been worn for a while. Maybe he should buy him a new one.

     "Cookie?"

     The nursery is empty. Vex Vega lies in his crib, his four-colored eyes peeking at his father through the bars. He was fully awake, so where was Kazuki?
     Yukio lifts the baby from his crib and heads to the bathroom. He thinks he can hear water running.

     "Kazuki? Are you in there?" he calls.
     "Uh...yeah, yeah, I'll be out in a minute-"
     "You left your patch in Balthier's room..."
     "Oh! Uh, just...slip it under the door!"

     Yukio feels slightly uneasy at Kazuki's behavior. He seemed...frantic. Like he was trying to hide something. Yukio opens the door.

     "N-no, don't!"

     Kazuki has a towel pressed to his eye. He looks pale, worried, and now scared-he was definitely hiding something.

     "Hey, what's wrong?" Lilia says. she was behind Yukio.
     "Oh, um...Lili, will you take Vega for me?"
     "Uh, okay...?"

     She takes Vega and walks back down the hall, where it seems a crowd has gathered.

     "Kazuki, what happened? Are you-"
     "Yes! Yes, I'm fine! Go get Vega!"
     "Cookie, you aren't fine-"
     "I AM! LEAVE ME ALONE!" he snaps, suddenly very angry. He flinches at a pain in his chest.