TWO: Side Glances

Just what I needed at this moment. The one person I fought the hardest to push from my mind to focus on my hero studies was right there in front of me. I doubted he even knew we were in the same class, and despite my better judgement, I wanted to try and talk to him again. If for no other reason than to at least clear the misunderstandings from middle school. We were bound to have to work together at some point during our time at UA.

Instead of having any teacher student introductions like any other school would, the teacher, who I just now registered was actually in the classroom, pulled out some gym uniforms and instructed the class to put them on and meet outside.

As I began to stand and head to the front to grab the uniform, my foot catches on the corner of my desk, and sends me sprawling to the floor, my book bag slamming into the back of Kaminari's legs, as he began walking to the front as well. Oh god, great, way to go, smooth move, (y/n).

"Oh gosh I am so sorry!" I call out as I begin to try and stand back up. My book bag comes into view in front of my face as a hand steadies me by my arm. Looking up, I see it was actually Kaminari helping me back up.

"Hey, don't worry about it, it's not a problem. You gotta watch out for those evil desk monst-" a flicker of recognition flashes in his eyes and his smile almost immediately dissapears.

He pushes my book bag towards me and lets go, turning away again without another word, leaving me to scramble to catch it before it falls to the floor again. 'Well it looks like he still remembers me at least...' I think to myself, not sure whether that was good or bad at this point.

"Well that reaction seemed to flip a 180... are you okay?" The girl in the seat next to mine with long dark hair says to me, leaning towards me with a finger poised against her chin.

"Huh, what? Oh yeah, I'm good, no injuries here!" I try to laugh off what happened, but it still stung that he became so cold towards me once he realized who I was.

"If you say so, I'm Tsuyu Asui, by the way. But please just call me Tsu." She extends a hand out towards me, and I take it in mine.

"Ah, I'm (F/N) (L/N), you can call me whatever you'd like to. We should probably head out, don't want to keep people waiting, y'know?" I chuckle nervously and begin heading out towards the others.

~~~~~

     All throughout the quirk assessment test, I kept trying to catch Kaminari's attention, to no avail. All I needed him to do was to just listen, but every time I got near him, or tried to get his attention, he'd do nothing more than give me the most disinterested side glances before promptly turning away and giving his attention to someone or something else.

Each time I tried and failed, it stung even more, and Tsu had tried offering her condolences when she could. At least I had made a friend today, right?

By the end of the day, when everyone was starting to head home, I had just finished packing my bag up when I saw Kaminari heading out the classroom door by himself and thought to myself this could be the perfect opportunity to finally confront him with no distractions.

Following him a moment before finally jogging to catch him by his sleeve in an emptying hallway, I call to him.

"H-hey! Kaminari wait!" I see his shoulders sag and hear him sigh before stopping. A good sign at least, he was willing to wait right?

"What." He didn't tone it as a question, but it didn't come across as him snapping, more so that it came out in defeat. He still wouldn't look at me though, his eyes just fixed steadily ahead of him.

"Please, can you just hear me out for a moment? Listen, back then, in middle school... I really didn't want to stand you up, it's just that my friends-" I began rambling quickly, not wanting to miss any opportunity to not have my words fall on deaf ears once again, but he cut me off, sighing.

"Your friends just thought it would be funny for you guys to pull a prank on me, effectively stomping on my feelings and any human decency you pretended to have for me? Yeah I get it, har har, it was a hoot. Can I go now?" His hand finds its way into his pocket, gripping into a fist as he bites back any anger he thought he might have left over from two and a half years ago.

"N-no, that's not what happened, and if you'd just look at me for more than a millisecond and actually listen to me, I could tell you what really happen-" again he cuts me off turning around and finally looking at me, though not the way I wanted. His eyes glowed with pain he thought he'd stamped down and gotten rid off, and he looked emotionally exhausted. A stark contrast to his usual bright demeanor.

"Look, j-just stop this, okay (L/N)? Just... stop..." his voice was so soft and felt as if he had been gutted. He shrugged his arm from my grasp as I let his sleeve go and stepped back, looking to the ground.

I barely manage to get out a choked sorry before I notice he was long gone from the corridor, and the exact same sting in my throat and crushing weight in mychest from all those years ago, manifested again.

At least he talked to me, right? That's a step forward at least, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*****I honestly have no idea what the direction I'm taking with this fic is, I'm so sorry, I'm honestly just writing whatever pops into my head hhhhhhh
Also, heck whatever was making wattpad all janky lately Dx*****