Chapter one

In my town, each person has a number, any number 1-30000. Your number was given to you by random when you were born. I was number 201. This number was seen to be unlucky. Why, I don't know, no one has bothered to tell me. Even when I ask I never get an answer.
As a child I was always alone, none of the other kids would go near me. Their parents taught them that I was tainted or impure. Not even the classroom supervisors would speak to me. If I had a question they would have me write it down on a piece of paper because even talking to me would give them bad luck. At home, not much was different, my parents would send me to my room as soon as I got home, and would not talk to me. The only person who would talk to me was number 178, they were the help hired to take care of me when I was little. They now bring me my meals and clean my house. Sometimes they would bring me sweets and cups of tea to comfort me when I was upset. 
Now as an adult I live alone on a plot of land that my parents bought for me just so they could get me out of their house. Once a week number 178 will come to bring me food and clean up the house. They never stay for long anymore. I get very lonely nowadays, I have gotten into the habit of making big messes just to make number 178 stay longer. Even after making a mess they won’t talk to me. I didn’t mind though, just having someone else in the house would make me not so sad. 
Every once in awhile I wish I was still in school. Yes, the other children would throw things at me and not talk to me, but at least there were other people around. I miss being around other people. I remember once another person came and tried to make friends with me; at the time I ignored them thinking it was just another prank. later I found out that they were not joking.  I now wish I would have said yes. It’s so lonely here in this house. I wish I had someone to talk to.
 I found a book yesterday. It was very different than the ones we read in school. It had these things called names. I find these names interesting, from what I understand it is like our numbers but different. One of these names was Marty Williams. I keep thinking why choose these names when you could have a number, but then I remember that the only reason that I am here alone in this house is because of my number. The unlucky number. I decided that I needed a name but the only names I knew were from the book. So I decided to call myself Forest after the green woodland that was described in the book. It sounded so beautiful, in the book everyone cared the forest. Unlike me the forest was not alone. It had the plants and animals to care for it. It also had the hamans, some of witch would fight it;it wasn’t alone. I don’t want to be alone anymore.

    178 came by yesterday, I was worried they would find my book so instead of making a mess like I normally would I kept the house as clean as possible so that they wouldn't be here for long. When they were about to leave, they seemed like they were hiding something. My first thought was ‘they saw the book’. That was the moment I knew that I had to leave.