For Alpha Slade, being hated by your mate was pretty much a rejection.

“N-Nine, can you pl-ease g-give them a chance?” Dexter pleaded.

Abruptly coming to a stop in front of him, she shot him a hard glare, making her friend flinch at the intensity of her red eyes.

“I’m trying! B-But I’m not like you Dex!” she shouted through the link, “I cannot simply trust them when all my life I was taught to kill them.”

Her friend looked down in shame making Nine feel bad for letting out her anger on him. “I’m so-rry. I-I guess I just w-want you to f-f-finally be free a-and ex-ex-perience the world.” Dexter mumbled and drew random patterns on the concrete floor.     

Nine sat down in front of him, her expression softening a little. “I’m sorry Dex but it’s hard for me. I’m not like them. They don’t have a monster inside of them that always wants to kill everything in sight.” She replied and laid her head down on her front paws.

Dexter reached out to caress Nine’s dark fur through the gap, making her purr.

“B-But you l-let me.” He said softly.

Nine raised her head to look him in his eyes. “That’s because you are my family and best friend. You are important to me.”

“But the others c-could also bec-come your fam-ily! Maybe e-evn a-ccept Alpha Sl-Slade a-a-”

Nine was quick to cut Dexter off and abruptly stood up and turned away from him. “No!” she boomed loudly making Dexter recoil. “Not him!” she growled.

“I can’t stay here Dex.” She looked at him with a stricken look in her eyes. “You know that fighting helps me control the beast. If I can’t fight then how will I restrain him? What happens if he bursts out and I can’t stop him? What happens if – if I kill you?” she whispered the last part and looked at him pleadingly.

 Nine shook her head furiously and blinked away the water in her eyes. “I-I could not live with myself if I hurt you…” 

Dexter face fell at the sight of her. He opened his mouth to speak but Nine continued.

“Besides, they wouldn’t want someone like me.” Her voice hardening, “They wouldn’t want to become friends with someone who could easily turn on them in a blink of an eye.” She looked sharply at Dexter, the beast revealing a little of itself through her clouded eyes. 

“T-Then why didn’t you?” Dexter said loudly, his brows furrowing in anger.

“What?” Nine asked, not knowing where her friends’ sudden anger coming from.

Dexter stood up and took a step forward. He straightened his back to stand tall, catching Nine in surprise. “Why d-didn’t you k-kill me when we fi-first met? Y-You hated me then be-because you th-thought I was like V-Victor! You co-could’ve ea-easily killed me all those y-years ago but you didn’t…why?”  

Nine gazed at him before turning away to stare blankly at the wall.

She didn’t have an answer for him. There was nothing she could say to prove him wrong.

When she was younger, Nine was far worse than she was now. She had no control over the beast and had to learn how to contain him over the years. She remembered the day she almost killed Dexter.

Six year old Nine constantly had a crazed look in her cat eyes. The beast was mostly in control of her little form from the moment of her first shift at the age of five.

Already at this tender age she took down four fully grown men and was easily capable to slaughter a gentle, fourteen year old boy.

She was pacing in her small cage. No one entered the room except for Dexter who she found as an annoying nuisance that Nine would love to get rid of, but she never got the chance until today…