The mainland was just as beautiful as the coast. Sam insisted that this wasn't Italy at its finest but I could sense how happy he was that I loved his country already. To avoid the still mild cold, his family was taking up residence in one of their many homes alongside the much warmer coast of the country.

Colorful houses dotted the cliffside, popping out against the cobalt blue sky that didn't boast a single cloud. I watched in awe as we drove through the city, cuddled up in the back of the limo with Sam. Though, a part of me knew I was already getting too comfortable with this, and I knew it wouldn't last for long.

While Queen Nicoletta and King Antonio were nothing less than friendly and welcoming to me, I could sense their unease. Italy had never implemented a caste system like Illea and while they certainly didn't view me as some commoner, I could feel their doubts about my relationship with Sam. And could I really blame them?

To anyone but Sam and I, it looked as though I'd seduced my way to his heart. Most people at the palace in Illea, it seemed, had been able to tell for a long time that Derek had no feelings for me. The public had never liked me all that much either, not as much compared to the other girls there. Not as much as they liked Erika, that was apparent. Derek certainly didn't do a good job hiding his feelings for her on the Report.

While Sam was in-line for the Italian throne, there was considerably less pressure for him to prepare to take the throne compared to Derek. While King Maxon and Queen America had been ruling Illea since they were quite young, Nicoletta and Antonio had only taken the throne when Sam was about ten years old. His grandparents had ruled for a long time and had only stepped down due to an illness that had nearly killed his grandfather.

Sam had still been groomed like Derek to be a King one day, but without a Selection, it left us plenty of time to spend together. I sympathized for Derek and his father, for having to go through a process that made it relatively difficult to spend time with the girls in the Selection. Still, the two of them had managed to find women they loved. King Maxon and Queen America's love story was one for the ages and I was sure Erika and Derek would be the same. Though, surprisingly, I still hadn't heard any word of their engagement. I hadn't heard anything from Erika, frankly.

Samuele was good at distracting me. When we didn't spend time together, wandering the palace grounds, visiting their private beach, cooking in their massive kitchen, I spent my time with his mother and siblings. I marveled at what it must have been like to grow up with a mother like Queen Nicoletta. Even with a kingdom to run, she made time for her children. Made sure to tuck little Gabriela into bed every night, just as she'd done with Sam when he was younger. Cooked dinner for them when she could. Acted like a normal mother.

I could barely recall the last time my own mother had said a nice word to me. I'd sent a letter to Ezra when I first arrived in Italy, explaining why I was here. I couldn't bring myself to explain to my parents myself that I'd fallen in love with the prince of Italy. I knew they would be unbearable, requesting that I bring them there at once. I wanted to enjoy my time with Sam and his family as peacefully as possible, without interruption.

It was only when Nicoletta requested I start working and learning with her that I started to doubt coming with Sam. I didn't know the first thing about being a Queen, much less what it meant to be Queen of Italy. A country I knew next to nothing about.

"My mother has faith in you. There's a learning curve, that's all," Sam tried to comfort me after a particularly rough day. I'd nearly ruined one of Italy's trade agreements with a simple typo this morning and had burst into his office nearly in tears.

"I suck at this. You don't have to sugarcoat it," I buried my head into his chest as he held me in his lap.

"I'm not sugarcoating it. I was terrible when my parents first had me work with them."