Chapter Six: Nightmare

"Sophie? Sophie!?" Jare yells over the phone.

I drop my phone and throw open my door, running up the porch steps and stopping right outside the door frame that's supposed to be holding the front door. I reach out to the hinges and feel the splinters from where the wood had been literally ripped off the hinges. I slowly step inside the house, pulling out the pepper spray I started keeping on me since that newcomer came into the Cafe and tried to break my arm. I look around slowly, expecting a burglar or some vandal to pop out of no where and try attacking me. I try to find anything else that's destroyed, but everything seems to be in perfect shape downstairs.

BANG

I jump and look up at the ceiling and try to think of what room is above me.

Mine.

I make my way towards the stairs and slowly go up them, avoiding the creaky steps I've had memorized since I was a kid. I walk to my door to see it's closed. I stand still, not breathing while trying to listen. I've seen enough horror films to know not to lean against the door or I might get stabbed. I also know I shouldn't have came in here alone, but I had to make sure nothing else was broken.

THUMP THUMP

I nearly jump when something hits the ground in my room. I reach for the door knob, gulping. As soon as I touch the door knob, the house phone starts ringing. I hold still, waiting for whomever is in my room to react, but I still hear soft footfalls on my carpet. I shiver from the fear that was building inside me as I slowly turn the knob. I peek in my room through the small crack I made with the door and something rams into the door to slam it shut in my face. I scream and run down the stairs and out the front hole that used to be the door. I jump in my car and slam the door, locking it and rolling all the windows. I grab my phone and hear the dial tone, dialing my dad's cell first. It rings twice before he picks up.

"Hey-"

"Dadsomeonesinthehouse! ThedoorisinsplintersandI'mscared!" I pretty much yell in one breathe.

"What!? Are you okay!?" This is why I love my dad, he knows me so well that he can understand my babble.

"I'm fine but I'm freaked out!"

"Did you call 911?" I smack myself on the forehead.

"No!"

"Go to Jared's house and call 911. I'lm on my way right now."

"Where's Al?"

"At the Brokeheart's."

"Good. I'm going to Jared's."

"Be careful."

"Okay."

I pull out and go to head towards Jare's house when I see him running down the street. I stop and he runs all the way to my window. I roll it down and he looks at me worried.

"Are you okay?" He asks, not even out of breath from the run.

"Freaked. Dad said to go to your house." Jare nods and gets in the passenger side. "I went up to my room and started to open my door when something slammed into it."

"Why'd you go inside in the first place? Horror Film 101, Soph." I nod.

"I know, but I just kind of...ran in." I mumble as I pull into his driveway. We go inside and sit at the table.

"Oh hello Sophie, what are you doing here?" So I told her and she gasps.

"The whole door?" I nod. "It was just gone?"

"Yeah. Dad's on his way."

"Okay dear, did you call 911?"

"I'm sure dad did after he heard how freaked I was."