DNA-code

The doorbell rings as I step in the stor.
"Good morning Juniper" greets me Gregory Clark the owner of the technology repair shop I work in.

Mr. Clark was a good friend of my father. They used to work together as capital soldiers before mr. Clark got wounded at an attack on Meric, ever since then he sits in a wheelchair unable to work as a soldier anymore.
He and his wife used all their savings on opening 'Electronics'. Not very creative I know, but because there are no other electronic shops in the wall district they didn't really have to up whit some impressive name.When Elli, Gregorys wife, died three jears ago Gregory decided to change the name in 'ElliTronics' in memory of his beloved wife.

I smile warmly at the men who has not only been my boss but also my friend and, even if I wont say it out loud, a father replacement for me and my brother.
Gregory has known us since we were babies, and watched us grow up. Not to forget that he and Elli supported us financially when we needed it the most. They took watched over us when our grandfather was occupied whit work. And brought food over at times when we didn't had enough money to affort some.

As I grew older Gregory even taught me how to repair electronic devices and how to program the computers that survived the takeover. He even offered me a job as i showed great potential at it.
Thanks to him I am now able to work at a decent place under good conditons, which is al lot considering the toxic gases in the underground plantations. Or the heavy work load in the factories of the industrie district.

I stop in front of grayson who is wearing one of his ridiculous colorful shirts again. "Good mornig you too. Did our client already call you?" I ask, refering to the loaded business man who brought his broken computer to us after he heard about our good reputation.
It was quite a surprise to have someone from the capital of Meric in our humble shop.

The man didn't really seem to fit in here whit his expensive suit and shiny shoes as he came in one week ago.
He explained the problem his device had and said that none of the oter shops he's been to were able to repair it, we were his last chance.

Since he offered us agreat amount of money if we succeed we decided tk at leat give it a try. "He called in yesterday." Gregory answered my question "He's coming over tomorrow and is very eager to see if we could restore his computer." "He sure is obsessed whit this old thing. Whit the amount he is willing to pay could easily get a new one, why the whole commotion?" I ask nobody in particular, but the question had crossed my mind a lot in the past days. Why would de be so attached by an ancient computer instead of just getting the newest model of ultra-plates which are a lot more commen nowadays?.

Making my way to the back of the shop, I drop my bag in the shelve and sit on my chair.
In front of me the computer I've been working on for a week now, I am still not one hundret percent sure of how this thing works since there arent any remaining instructions for computers, actually there arent even enough computers left anymore. This device is the oldest one I've seen so far.

As the day goes by I get lost in my work and the labyrinth of cables which seem to mock me and want to see me fail. I constantly loose my concentration and the short amount of time i have left does contribute to my mood.
I serch for a thong I need only to find it on the top shelf.  I grab for it but it seems to be stuck.
My mood gts darker an my anoyance reaches a new level.
Whit more force I lean into the oposite direction. Bad idea I know, or now at least I know, because the whole shelf comes falling down on me.

Burried under a mountain of spare parts and tools all I feel is anger.
Not even the pain is magnificent enough for me to notice.
I need to get the computer don till tomorrow and just can't seem to make any process.
Slowly my eyes staret to water, a bad habit of mine, whenever I am frustratet I start crying. As I lay there thinking about possible solutions Gregory hastily enters the room. "Juniper are you okay? Please tell me you are not hurt. Juniper can you here me?"
"Of course I can." I interrupt him. "I am fine just a little accident" shoving the tools of off me I mutter as i stand up.

But Gregory didn't listen anymore. His eyes were fixed on my arm and I looked down I knew exactly why.

Blood was runing down my arm and soaking my brown long sleeve shirt. Looking back I met Gregorys worried eyes, suddenly he looked way older than he actually was, his wrinkles seem to deepen and his usually smiling face paled.
"June we need to get you to the medical station right now". Swallowing the lump in my throad I nodded.

For some reason I just couldnt stand look of blood, even though my mom used to work as nurse at the medical staion in our district I couldn't help but feel sick whenever I came to face blood.

The medical station was no where as near as the hospitals in the capital, but it was enough for the citicen of the lower districts.
If someone was seriously ill and could afort if they went to the hospital, though most couldn't.
I didn't had to wait long since my wound cut into my vein and my blood loss was wuote serious.
After the doctors and nurses closed and cleand my wound I was led to the main desc to be taken into the system.
A stressed looking nurse greeted me halfheartedly "now we just need your ID and your DNA-card". A card you usually get at your birth, when the doctors send a blood test to the capital laboratories to teat your blood of mutations. It also holds the data to all your vaccinations. However I did not possess this card, I only had a smal paper book whit my vaccinations in it.

As I handed the nurs my vaccination book she gave me a confused look "since I was born at home I do not have a DNA-card, but my mom was a nurse so I have all the basic vaccinations" I explained.

The nurs only looked more confused "your has never been sent in? Well then I suppose we just have to do it now. We sould have enough whit the bandages we used on you. We will sent your blood in and transfer your vaccinations on the chip card. You should get the card within 3 days" whit that she took my paper book to adapt my data in the systen and send me home.

At home the blood loss and long working day did its affect on me as I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow.