His lips broke out in a wide grin as he chewed slowly. "It's not quite my Nonna's...but she's got some competition."

I rolled my eyes, nudging him gently as I hid my smile. I could feel his eyes on me as I ate my food quietly.

"I shouldn't be saying this. But I really want to kiss you again."

My fork stopped on the way to my mouth as his voice broke the silence. He was right; he shouldn't have said it. But at the same time...I couldn't deny that I wanted to kiss him, too.

As I set my fork back on the plate, he reached for my hand, tugging me closer before we were tangled up in each other again. A tiny voice in my head nagged at me, telling me to stop, that we were breaking the biggest rule of the Selection. But as Sam's lips parted mine, all I could think about was the way his hands felt on my waist, my hair, my cheeks.

The Italian prince certainly knew what he was doing and I couldn't help the whine that came out of me as he pulled away breathlessly. "Liana..."

"Sam..."

He laughed lowly to himself. "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that."

"Really?" I couldn't help the surprise in my tone.

"Yes, really. Is that so hard to believe?"

"I mean, yeah," I peered up at him, surprised to see a newfound softness in his gaze.

He bit his lip. "I'm not very good at showing my-my feelings. Derek likes to say I hide them under a wall of sarcasm. And a general asshole attitude."

I snorted. "That's pretty accurate."

He smirked but continued. "Believe me when I say I didn't plan on kissing you. Any of you. A little bit of shameless flirting, maybe, but...I met you. And you didn't give a damn that I was a prince. You didn't walk over eggshells to impress me. And you cooked, which, I'll be honest, really is the way to a mans heart. You care for your friend Erika the way I care for Derek. And I realized in the safe room...besides Derek, besides my family and his, you were the only other person I thought about. The only other person I worried about."

I swallowed, surprised by the depth of his words, the emotion, and his honesty.

"I won't...I don't expect you to say anything. But can we at least see where this goes?"

The corner of his mouth crooked up in a hopeful smile as I weighed his question. There was no going back if I said yes. But who was I to say no?

~~~

The kitchen became our secret hideaway. Nearly every night we met, talking deep into the night. Kissing when we needed to take a break from conversation. Seeing Sam became the thing I looked forward to most days.

At least, the days where I wasn't working on planning a tea party for his mother and sister. The moment Celia assigned our teams, leaving me without Erika, my schedule was filled with meetings to plan and organize everything. I could handle most of the other girls, but it was Avalee who grated my nerves the most.

I worried I would spontaneously combust when she waltzed into the party wearing a bright pink dress. The four of us had agreed to a color scheme of white and gold. My maids had spent over an hour placing small white flowers in my braid, not to mention the work they'd put into my white and gold dress.

I tried to not strangle her as she flounced past me, choosing instead to take a seat with Eveline, as Erika's table had already filled up. I smiled to myself as Queen America sat beside her, causing Erika's face to flush a shade pinker. I would have laughed, even, if Queen Nicoletta hadn't sat besides me.

Sam's mother.

My nerves started to bubble up inside me. We'd spoken about our families, only in short conversations, but I certainly never thought I'd have to talk with his mother this soon. A small part of me had wondered if I ever would, or if the joke Sam must be playing on me would end before it ever could have happened.

But here I was, sitting next to the Queen of Italy, who was only more beautiful up close. Sam took after his father, with his tan skin and dark hair, but his eyes and his smile were his mother's. I couldn't help but stare, lost in thoughts enough that Eveline had to shake me out of stupor when I realized the Queen was looking at me curiously.

"Huh...I'm sorry," I shook myself out of my daze. "I'm sorry, Your Majesty, did you say something?"

Queen Nicoletta only smiled, her accent smooth as she set down her cup. "I was only saying that this was a lovely party you planned, Lady Liana. Isn't that right, Gabriela?"

I turned my gaze to her daughter, Sam's little sister, who looked adorable in a light blue dress. Princess Gabriela nodded enthusiastically, her dark locks bouncing. She gave me a grin that warmed me from the inside out.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. That's very kind," I smiled, trying not to fiddle with my braid. I couldn't put into words how much relief I felt when Queen Nicoletta said she loved the party I'd planned. She gave me a discreet smile before turning back to the rest of the conversation.

I could breathe easier now and managed to join in the pleasant chatter and gossip. Before long, everyone stood to leave, the tea party having run its course. I tried to find Erika in the crowd but I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Queen Nicoletta giving me a warm, knowing gaze.

"Could I speak with you for a moment, Lady Liana?"

I could only nod mutely as the Italian Queen led me to a corner of the room, out of most people's line of sight.

"I do want to thank you again for a truly lovely party, Lady Liana," she smiled before placing a soft hand on my shoulder, giving me no time to reply. "But also...well, I haven't seen my son this happy in a long time."

I froze and I felt my smile drop at her words. "I'm sorry?"

She only squeezed my shoulder, tilting her mouth up in a crooked smile that had become familiar to me. "A mother knows her son better than anyone. And it's not hard to tell that his gaze often strays towards a certain person at breakfast. And dinner, for that matter."

My eyes widened as she gave me a small wink. I sputtered, trying to find the right words as she giggled. "Thank you again, Lady Liana. I'm sure I'll be seeing you."

With one last glance, she turned back towards her daughter and Queen America, leaving me utterly speechless.

What had just happened?