She swept lower, playful now, wheeling acrobatics across the sky. Anyone watching below would see but a glimmering flash, like a comet streaking across the sky. Not that their opinions mattered much to her. Feared or loved, all respected, no, worshiped her might and beauty. How could they not? She tucked her wings under, and began diving downwards. The wind picked up speed, whistling past. Ice broke off her scales and trailed behind her like a second tail, a shooting star come down to earth.

At the last possible moment, her wings splayed out, blotting out the sun and casting a shadow that covered the village below. Her village. As her feet touched down, light as a feather to her, an avalanche broke loose, snow cascading down the clefts. Her form shimmered as she shifted, still striding forward, ignoring the roaring fury that trailed behind her, as inconsequential as the squeaking growl of pups, behind her. It stopped just short of the entry to the village, where the headsmen awaited her, fresh robes in hands, kneeling.

"My lady," they announced, offering them up to her.

She sniffed, then accepted them, casually draping them across her form.

"All goes well, I assume?" Her voice was high and haughty, without an ounce of disdain.

How could she hold anything in her heart but pity for such lesser creatures, after all? If not for her goodwill and oversight, they would have long since fallen prey to other, more savage tribes, or starved in this harsh environment. To her, the thought of their loss had been unbearable. These humanoids were by far the most beautiful she'd encountered....if  that word could be applied to a humanoid, that is.

She had constructed the mountains that surrounded them herself. Many a day and night had gone by, tirelessly bringing boulders from other lands, gouging out the earth on each side of them, and fortifying them with her own breath. Magic exuded with even exhale ensured the icy peaks would never melt. So long as they remained in the valley, no harm could reach them but from the skies, and she patrolled those endlessly.

They cast sidelong glances at each other, not daring to meet her eyes. "All goes well, Fair Lady," they eventually answered. "Very well, in fact. Shall we speak inside? A feast has been prepared for you."

She snorted. "Just an excuse to escape the elements, I expect," she teased.

Another uneasy glance was exchanged, and did not go unnoticed. The smile dropped from her face, afraid she'd gone too far.

"That was not an admonishment," she explained. "I fully understand your bodies do not react to the cold as mine does, and do not expect you to be the exception."

She offered them her hand. "Let us go," she commanded.

One took it, taking her arm in his, leading her towards the main hall.

The meal was delicious, she had to admit. Her fire could roast meal to perfection, but could not imbue it with flavors like the spices of the Eldarin. After it had settled heavily in her body, the talk turned from pleasantries to more serious matters.

"When I visited last," she posed, "You had said that you had a proposition for the future of the village. I would like to hear it."

The laughter and other sounds of a busy hall abruptly stopped. She cast her gaze, noting the fear.

"Do not be afraid," she assured them. "I promise I won't laugh, however far-fetched an idea it is. I admire your ingenuity, however misguided it may be at times."

After a few tense, silent moments, the one to her right spoke up."My Lady," He posed, "We would like to begin trading with the outside."

"What is this, a joke?" She could not contain the laughter that bubbled out, even as she inwardly scolded herself for breaking her vow so easily. "You've outdone yourself this time, headsman. I would never have thought to tell one in such a manner. A very fine prank, indeed."

The Headsman swallowed. "It is no joke," he insisted.

"As amusing as I find this little game," she spat, nostrils flaring,"even my patience has a limit."

She stood, swaying, and slammed her fist on the table. At this, the headsman seemed to gain courage.

He stood as well. "I repeat, my lady, this is no joke. In fact, preparations have already been made for Spring, when the caravans can cross the mountain passes."

Her eyes narrowed, lips curling up into a snarl. "They shall not," she hissed, slurring slightly. "Never a single outsider shall step foot here while I still live."

"They already have."

That gave her pause. "When. When did you betray me?" She asked, voice full of genuine pain.

"We did not mean it as a betrayal, My Lady. Trade brings further prosperity to our village, more knowledge, more of the world. Even a hatchling has to spread their wings sometime. When you sleep, what is for you a night is for us the better part of a year. We only ever see you in the coldest months, and the world does not stand still while you rest. We've been trading for years, and you did not notice in your slumber."

She shrieked and raged, turning over tables. Each step drained her of energy, more than it should have, she realized far too late. She tore at the cloth of the robe, and raced in vain for the doorway, tantalizingly open to the cool air and sky. Her freedom. Her salvation. She had made it but a few steps before she sank down, totally exhausted.

The villagers were in tears. "We never wanted it to end this way," the headsman whispered, cradling her in his arms.

Much to her surprise, tears flowed down her face as well.

"Then why?" She sobbed.

"You are ice, my lady," he murmured. "Your ways as unyielding as the mountain itself. You could never allow us to grow independent. You would have destroyed us, and yourself once you'd regained your senses. It's far better this way, to slumber for all eternity, with dreams full of pleasant memories."

In her bed, the girl sprang awake, tears streaming down her face.

"If only," she gasped, "It was a dream."