Chapter One

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.

-Anais Nin

Franklin felt a terrible urge to play with the kids outside. He was stuck in a huge mansion, bordered with two-and-a-half meters of wall and a looming black gate in the middle.

Three days ago, he was successful in sneaking out of the house. He walked past their old gardener who was busy trimming rose bushes on the side of a wall.

Passing through the gate was an ecstatic feeling where he met new friends—children who every afternoon, play games like hide and seek on the street next to his massive residence.

He met an eight-year-old Annette, the siblings Marco and Kate, and a tall lean boy named Ruel. All of them live in a little compound few yards from his.

"Are you sure you want to play with us?" asked little Annette.

"Sometimes we notice you peering over us when we play. But all we know is that you are this rich kiddo trapped in that huge mansion." Ruel added.

"Like Rapunzel?" Annette butted in.

Marco, the eldest among them, snickered. "Except that he has short hair."

"Stop it guys," Ruel said. "It's always fun to have a new friend!"

That afternoon, Frank had a good time with his neighbors. He learned new games and enjoyed strolling around the nearby meadow. They chased wild ducks, built a little swing made out of a sack that when Kate hopped in, the ropes snapped off the Mango tree and sent her rolling on the inclined ground.

Late in the afternoon, when Frank tiptoed back into the house, the gardener was out of sight. He thought he was safe, but as he pushed the door as gently as he could, his body froze when her mother's terrible screech welcomed him.

"Franklin Madelo! Where in the world have you been?!"

He felt his heart leaped into his throat. He seldom sees his mother get angry, and when she does, it's a total disaster.

Frank went in and shut the door and forced his eyes to glance at his mother's direction.

She was standing stiffly, with her dark brows raised in anticipation of his reason. All Frank could imagine at the moment was a wild beast suited in a corporate attire was standing in front of him—ready to devour.

He was surprised to see their gardener standing next to her mom. His head was bowed slightly, with shoulders dropped and arms tucked on his back. Frank guessed he was scolded really bad.

"I-I, umn," Frank stuttered. "Just outside. P-playing with other kids."

"What?!" her mother cried, eyes widened in surprise. "How many times do I have to tell you Franklin. It's too dangerous outside. You can't trust those kids! W-what if they'll lure you somewhere and kidnap you! Or-or heavens forbid, hurt you!"

Frank rolled his eyes. "Mom, you're overreacting."

The old gardener managed to blurt an inaudible laugh. And her mother darted her sharp eyes on him.

The next days, Frank was left stuck in his giant cage again. He tried to find ways overcoming boredom. He looked for recipes on the internet and tried to bake cookies—FAILED, he almost set the kitchen on fire. He pestered his sixteen-year-old sister by doing weird stuffs that annoys her so much—he received a pinch-mark on his shoulder. And lastly, he just locked out his room and played mundane computer games all over again.