You feel a pang in your heart, a sadness in your eyes betraying your guilt.

'If only you knew how much I'd do for him anyways...'

'In a Grove'.

You activate your ability, taking hold of Kyouka as you turn fully to face her.

"Why don't any of you believe he won't hurt me?" You ask, knowing she would answer without thinking.

"Because he's a monster!"

You smile grimly, a pale green glow in both your eyes that wasn't there before shining in the midday sun.

As far as Kyouka now knew, she was in a beautiful clearing with tall trees, curiously picking at the leaves on the ground, her rare childlike nature coming out and innocently walking around, the menacing peace of it all un-bothering to her. The rope surrounding the largest tree meant nothing to the 14 year old, and you whisper as you distort her perception, so when she found her way back to her consciousness, she wouldn't be able to tell for a bit what was real and what wasn't.

"Who are we to say who's version of reality isn't real?"

•••

"[f/n]!"

You open your eyes with a jolt, turning to see Kyouka waving at you to follow Atsushi and her back to the agency now that their time on the case was finished.

Kyouka...we were close. You were like a little sister to me...why didn't you say anything?

What did I do?

When you don't move, Atsushi walks over to you with concern after instructing the dark haired girl to wait for him.

"We've been calling you for a while. Are you ok?" Atsushi asks, placing a hand gently on your shoulder, a warm touch you welcomed.

"I think...I remembered something...but..." you bite your lip out of a nervous habit, looking away from Atsushi's gleaming purple-yellow gaze.

"You don't have to explain yourself, it's ok. We aren't here to place pressure on you."

"Can I stay out here for a bit? I know the way back so you don't have to worry." You ask, relieved he wasn't asking any questions.

"Oh...ok, that's fine. Try to be back before everyone leaves so we know you're safe..." Atsushi smiles sweetly, letting go of you and heading back, only turning around once to say:

"It's good to have you back by the way. Even if we have to get to know each other again!"

You're so kind...

But something feels like a lie.

Yes, things were off. Now you just wanted to know why. All you knew was that things were starting to feel more familiar, and you furthermore remembered why you liked the Yokohama docks so much. You always visited them like a calm before a storm. They reminded you of moments of surreal peace before the whole world seemed to shake in punishment.

•••

By the time you were walking back to the agency to find your given apartment and meet Atsushi again, the moon was up, it's silver light illuminating the grey pavement as you kept your head straight and focused on your destination.

It was quiet, save the few cars here and there and your soft steps against the hard ground. You felt calm, and truly alive for the first time in a long time.

Am I overreacting? Is this just a side affect from being gone so long? The feeling that something is supposed to be happening?

You were lost in thought as you crossed the road from your empty sidewalk onto a lively plaza, store lights everywhere, and an abundance of people late at night leaving work or just getting ready to enjoy themselves until dawn.

You hear a light coughing next to you, but you look up too late and bump into a man in a long and elegant black coat, his pale skin contrasted by his jet black hair with white tips dyed at the ends. His glasses that hid his eyes fell, and with complete embarrassment you bend to pick them up quickly, handing them to him as you look up, meeting his eyes.

Eyes that reminded you of the moon.