Y/N and the other girls giggled at the look on Nanny Whetstone's face, and then she snapped. The nanny shrieked and ran to the front door. We followed still holding the chicken bones, as we watched her try to pry her shoes off from the floor.

We laughed until our sides hurt, tears streaming down our faces while we watched Nanny Whetstone flee from the house. I doubled over to ease the pain in my sides and banged heads with Y/N. I started laughing harder while rubbing my forehead.

"Y-y/n. I-I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" I asked, through fits of giggles.

"Yeah, I-I'm fine," she responded.

"Come on, guys, I'm still hungry. Can we go back to the kitchen?" asked Sebastian.

"Of course, no one can tell us what to do now! No more nannies!" I shouted.

-Time Skip-

We were sent to our room by father. I can't believe it! Now, he's gone to the agency to hire a new nanny. I doubt there are any left or any that want want to look after us, anyway. 

I was with Y/N, sitting on the windowsill, watching my siblings play with their toys. I felt something on my shoulder so I turned and saw Y/N, laying her head on my shoulder, her eyes half-closed, a small smile on her face.

"Why couldn't my stepsister and I get along like them?" she asked rhetorically.

"I don't know, but you can always get along with my siblings like that," I said, trying to comfort her. She looked up from her position and her smile grew. I smiled back and kept the conversation up. 

"Simon, there's something I didn't tell you. I ran away from home because-"

Suddenly, Evangeline came through the door, to Lilly, "Stop, stop, stop! You're driving your poor father to distraction!"

Then, Evangeline asked, "Lilly, what's this word?"

"Lovingly. He held her lovingly by the hand," said Lilly, proudly.

"Thank you," said Evangeline gratefully.

"What's your book about Evangeline?" asked Chrissy.

"It's about a man who's wife dies and gets a new wife. Then he dies and his daughter is left in the care of her horrid stepmother and stepdaughter," said Lilly.

"That sounds like you, Y/N!" said Sebastian, happily, "Maybe you're the girl in the story."

Y/N smiled weakly, "Maybe, Chrissy." I winced at how hurt she looked behind that forced look in her eyes.

"All stepmothers are horrid. They are always horrid to children that aren't theirs. And the fathers always stop seeing the children," said Eric. 

"All fathers go horrid when their wives die," I said bitterly.

"Don't be silly. Your father still loves you," protested Evangeline. 

"Does he read stories to Chrissy like he used to? Does he play cricket with us like he used to? Does he sing lullabies to Aggie like he used to? No! All he cares about is getting himself a fancy, new wife." snapped Simon. Evangeline looked defeated.

"I like you," said Evangeline, hopeful in lifting my siblings' moods.

"You don't count, you're paid to like us," said Eric, sternly.

Evangeline then stood abruptly and walked friskily out of the room. Y/N stood up quickly and went to join her. That was a little odd. I felt the weight of Y/N's head on my shoulder leave and I internally felt disappointed that she couldn't stay like that a little longer.

Y/N's POV

I hurried behind Evangeline to comfort her after what Eric said. Surely, he didn't mean it the way Evangeline interpreted. That was when I saw Mr Brown walk in through the front door, taking off his coat. He looked utterly miserable, mumbling incoherently. 

"No more nannies, no more nannies," I heard when I passed him. That means Simon was right after all. 

After I made sure Evangeline was okay, I walked back upstairs to the children's room. I walked in and Mr Brown was sitting on one of the little wooden chairs, talking to the children.

"-So I'm going to distress you. No supper tonight- oh, hello Y/N. As I was saying, no supper for anyone. You were very misbehaved today so I have no choice but punish you."

And with that, Mr Brown left the room, the children protesting after him, shutting the door loudly. I went to go sit next to Simon by the window sill, again.

When he was out of earshot, the children stopped shouting and calling. They gave it up, Sebastian muttering about how hungry he already was. The children started playing together, playing noisily and roughly. Soon, Evangeline was up here again and screamed, "Everybody, quiet!!"

"Can you get me a piece of toast, Evangeline?" asked Sebastian, innocently.

"No, I'm under strict orders to, under no circumstance, give you any food tonight."

"Awwww." chorused the younger children.

Then, Evangeline left and Simon stood up from the window sill.

"Okay, guys, I have an idea. Today, we're going to break into the kitchen," he said, smirking his devilish smirk.