Chapter Fifteen

Byron sat in his office early on Monday morning. He read the notes again. The case was weak, which was bad since they were going to court next week. At this rate, they were not even going to sway public opinion on Finley, aka Ben Smith, let alone convince any jury that he was innocent. Most people were siding with his ex, Jade Evert and while Byron believed Finley was telling the truth, even he had to admit it looked bad. There was too much circumstantial evidence and not enough fact. What did Byron have? A bunch of credit card statements that seemed to prove Finley's innocence, but could easily be disproved as well.

He read over Jade's claim that Finley was the one who introduced her to the world of BDSM, yet his credit card statements showed the opposite. Purchases of bondage paraphernalia and admission fees to exclusive bondage clubs not long after they started dating seemed to prove he was buying these things for the first time, like he was establishing his lifestyle. It still didn't prove anything beyond reasonable doubt, but it was a start. As for the rape claims, well, no one really knew what went on behind closed doors that night but it didn't look good for Finley when Jade bore scars that seemed to prove her story. Without the video that he kept talking about, nothing could be proven and basically it came down to one party's word against the other. The popularity contest was about to begin.

He didn't really understand any of it. Finley and Jade inhabited a world he didn't comprehend, how could someone derive pleasure from pain? Byron threw the document down and raked a hand over his eyes just as there was a knock on his door and Penny entered.

"Conference Room One is all set up and ready to go for your meeting," she said.

"Is Isabelle there?" he asked.

"Yes, just waiting on you," Penny informed him.

Byron rose from his chair. He had so much other work to do. There were at least three other cases that he was meant to be representing in court this week alone and the Smith vs Evert case was taking up all of his time. He was going to make a suggestion at the meeting with the other lawyers, see what they thought of his idea.

"Morning guys," Byron said as he breezed into the room. "Let's get to it. The Evert vs Smith case begins in one week. We've got a few things to do before that happens."

"Like find some solid evidence?" Morgan said.

Byron nodded. Morgan was right, their case was not strong, but they'd pulled bigger miracles than this before.

"We've got to keep trying until we get something," he said.

"I don't think I've got anything left," Murray said. "I'm burnt out from this case."

Byron looked at Murray. He felt like telling him to suck it up because he felt exactly the same way, but he was still going. Murray had a habit of complaining when things got too much, but even Byron acknowledged that something needed to change.

"Is everyone feeling this way?" Byron asked.

"I'm sorry, Byron, but I have to agree with Murray on this one," Theo said. Morgan merely nodded her head.

"Well, I have been giving this some thought. I've checked with our accounts department and we are in a position to expand and take on a new lawyer."

"Oh thank God," Morgan said.

"I'll start the interview process next week."

It might mean he could spend more time with Lainey, too. He smiled as he thought of her. He might just keep her around for a bit, he decided. She was really starting to grow on him. Her sense of humour, the way she didn't take things too seriously, the fact that she loved sushi. And the sex was something else. Maybe it was because of the 'research' aspect to their affair, which meant they could indulge in some fantasies. Whatever it was, he was starting to look forward to the weekends with her. In fact, he wondered if she might come away with him this weekend.