Chapter 22: Bad Girl

Start from the beginning

"Who are you?" I questioned, probably foolishly ignoring his question. He seemed humored, pulling off his shades and revealing sharp green eyes that would put the ferocity of a viper to shame.

"A family friend." He answered.

"My question." He stated.

"Yeah." I replied, trying to calm myself internally.

"I need you to break things off. I don't care how you do it." He said, his words taking a moment to register. But when they did that same fieriness that had inched its way into my brain came to life once again.

"I love him sir. I can't do that." I refused. Though the gaze I was met with wasn't of amusement. How such vibrantly colored eyes could become voids threw me completely off.

"I wasn't asking." He said simply.

"I'm being nice. There are things about this that you will never understand." He began.

"Refuse and i'll do it myself. And ensure he hates you as well." The man spoke, his tone slicing. I had so many questions. But my mind was screaming at me to not test this man. The only person I knew who could instill this much fear was Cruz. But even his intimidation paled in comparison.

"Now do we have understanding Mr. Moore?" He asked.

"Y-yes sir." I stammered, just wanting to get the hell out of his presence. Something about this man seemed cold and unforgiving contrary to the suave smile he wore now.

"Good boy." He said.

"You may go." He said, fanning a hand dismissively as I stumbled out of the SUV.

         I wasted no time power walking back home as the SUV was gone when I risked a glance back as I rounded a corner. I began jogging with how unsettled i'd felt, my house coming into sight as I saw something that caused my heart to drop. Waiting outside my front door was a familiar man.  

"Fuck me." I huffed as I drew closer, wondering if I should just run away from it all.

      The stern and stoic man that was Cruz followed me with a calculated and robotic gaze as I drew near. I felt so many things. Irritation, confusion, and fear all at the same time. Each was vying for my attention too.

"You were spoken to?" He asked as I drew closer. I froze, nearly dropping my keys.

      Irritation fought its way to the surface. I was tired of being walked all over. Being that idiot people took advantage of.

"I'm on your side boy." He spoke, catching me off guard as I opened the door, Marley coming to greet me as I entered the house, Cruz following me inside as well.

"What the hell is going on?" I questioned, running a hand through my messy hair.

"I have a lot to say. But I am on your side. My father is..." He said, a connection being made in my mind. Just who the hell were these people?!

"Get out. Please. I just want to be left alone." I pleaded, pacing in the foyer, wondering why Cruz was here. Why my father wasn't home.

"What i'm about to tell you could cost me everything." Cruz said to me, his voice actually displaying anger as he backed me up to the front door, pinning me there by my biceps.

"So listen to me when I say i'm on your side. Because you are on puchito's side." He growled, his grip growing so tight on me that I was afraid he'd snap my arms.

"Do you love him?" He asked, his dark eyes seeming hurt and torn in their depths.

"Y-yeah." I stammered.

"Then let us talk." He said, releasing me suddenly.

      He confidently strode through my house, somehow finding the livingroom and sitting me down, sitting across from me in my dad's favorite armchair. Some sort of bravery overcame me once again as I spoke up as Cruz seemed to be gathering his thoughts.

"Well?" I asked, my throat tight, Marley hopping up onto the couch beside me.

"This could get me killed." He murmured softly, his gaze landing on me. I guess those words were meant for him as he shook his head at my questioning gaze.

"My family. The Maddox family too." Cruz spoke, leaning back in the chair.

"My family more importantly are a..." He began, his gaze becoming torn as he rubbed his face, clearly troubled.

"Are what you would call a mafia." He said, his words hitting me like a freight train.

"And we have a special bond with the Maddox family. We owe them everything. A debt we could never repay." He ventured on as I sat there stunned.

"The men and women of my family aren't allowed to pick and chose who we all marry." He said, things clicking into place.

"Why?" Was all I managed.

"To keep people like you out of our affairs. We don't deal in drugs or extortion. But we are far from innocent." He explained.

"Then how does that affect Wyatt?" I questioned.

"My father has plans for him to marry someone from a family we've struck a deal with." Cruz explained.

"Then what can I even do?" I asked, feeling helpless as things practically crumbled apart around me.

"I want Wyatt to have a choice. To not be involved with that world. He's safest with you." Cruz explained gently, his stoic gaze actually softening to one of sympathy.

"What can I do?" I asked once more.

"You have to do as father says for now." Cruz sighed.

"If what I told you leaves your mouth. I die. And there is no telling what else will come of it." Cruz tacked on.

"Why don't we just tell Wyatt?" I questioned.

"Father will know I've said something. He's smart. He will figure it out on his own." Cruz assured me.

"Why are you telling me all this?" I pondered.

"Puchito is like a little brother to me. I would die for him." Cruz stated, sounding entirely genuine.

"You are free to forget any of this happened too." Cruz sighed, standing up and adjusting his clothing.

"I-I want to help." I croaked, my mouth and throat uncomfortably dry.

"Remain silent and do as my father told you to until I think of something more." Cruz shrugged, heading for the door.

"Where are you going now?" I asked, getting up to follow after him.

"Can't hang around here. I'll be in contact. Remember we're on the same team." Cruz said as he looked over his shoulder at me, pausing right before the door.

"I trust you won't betray me?" He questioned, cocking a brow that bore a small vertical slit.

"I won't." I assured him, heart hammering in my chest.

     And with that Cruz left me with so much to unpack. A fucking mafia?! That was something I was struggling to wrap my mind around. The nerves balled up in my stomach fought to get free as I rushed to the powder room and flipped on the light. I just barely made it to the toilet in time as I heaved up the contents of my stomach. This was like a bad dream. Just when life was going well for me this happened. I didn't know if I could go through with that man's demands. But Cruz seemed afraid of him too. So perhaps it was best to just comply? Cruz's life was on the line if I said anything. So this was something I had to carry alone.

       And Wyatt loved Cruz like family. And I loved Wyatt. So I wouldn't want him to lose family. I stumbled out of the bathroom when I cleaned up, collecting my tux and heading up stairs. I don't think I had much time left with Wyatt. The fall formal was just days away. And I couldn't break his heart before something he was looking forward too so much. This all fucking sucked. Everything sucked so much.

****************

A/N: Yeah. I know i'm evil. I might be hated. But it hurts me just as much as it hurts my boys. The next chapter will be the last of this book. The sequel is in the works too! So worry not. Until next time!