Chapter 1 - The Fox Mask

Comincia dall'inizio

William been waiting for this moment since he decided to become a member of the magic knight squad under Julius Novachrono – the current captain of Grey Deer.

Except for royalty, who had backdoor access, everyone had to take the Exam.

William was quite nervous because he knew the moment they stepped their feet on the arena, the Exam has already begun. While waiting, numerous anti-birds would swarm around the venue as they pester the examinees who had low magical powers.

To his surprise, someone was circled by a flock of birds – to the extent that he couldn't make head nor tail.

William "..."

He approached the person out of concern, which made the birds fight to get clear of the path. "Are you alright?"

She turned around, quickly recognized the owner of the voice.

"You again..."

"Fox girl?" William was taken a little surprise, "Why were the birds flocking around you?"

"Because I was feeding them?" She tilted her head as some of her hair strands fell upon her shoulder, passing over her waist.

Once again, he was left deadpanned. "Feeding the birds...?", he murmured, facepalming.

Runa nodded as if to emphasize the truth, "By the way, my name is Runa, Runa Kuroyami. I'm not 'fox girl' though."

"Ah right...!" He was spaced out for a moment, and quickly realize he was being impolite. "I'm William. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, lady Kuroyami."

Until then did he remind that he called her by the alias he came up with within the spur of the moment. It was a slip of the tongue, yet, embarrassing.

"Urg... Runa is fine. Please drop the formality." Her cheeks got quite rosy. When she blushed, she's even more endearing.

"Then... R-Runa-"

"William!"

He was trying to call her by the first name before being cut off mid-sentence.

"Sir Julius!"

Julius Novachrono. He was a tall, middle-aged man with short messy blond hair and purple eyes. One of his notable features is on the left side of his forehead.

He came to their place, with such a cheerful expression, "You did decide to be a Knight! I'm so glad! Oh, and you even wear the mask I gave you. As I thought, the mask I chose is definitely fashionable!"

"So you are the one who gave him the mask which makes the one wearing it like a chicken?"

There went Runa's blunt voice behind William.

"..."

"WHAT!?" Julius yelled, "Don't you think it's cool!?"

"No, not at all... How can a chicken be cool?"

"Aw so mean~," He said, scratching his head, "Are you a friend of William's? It's good that he has a frie-"

"Acquaintance to be precise, Sir. We just met not long ago." She sighed, shrugging her shoulders, "If you excuse me, I have to investigate something?"

"Investigate?"

She left after nodding and then walked away.

"She's quite cold, isn't she?" Sir Julius chuckled, waving to her even when she didn't even turn her back. Then, he glanced at him, "But I could tell, she's a person with good nature."

"How do you know, sir Julius...?"

"My instinct!"

"..." If sir Julius said so,...

He laughed with William, "I just feel that her magic signature is quite different from other people... Now that I notice, her figure is quite small to a 15-year-old girl or older. Hmm, never mind! I now wonder how strong she is. I think I will want her in my squad, perhaps?"

And then Julius turned to the boy, giving him a straight and expectant look.

"You too, William! Do your best at the Exam and..."

「 ...become an astounding Magic Knight 」

"Y-Yes!"

He couldn't hold up smiling. Julius was a strange person but he was the first person to ever recognize William for himself. He was a kind and magnificent person.

However, at the same time, William had another person in his mind. The girl with the fox mask. The girl named Runa Kuroyami.

Rarely did he talk to any children around his age, nor did they ever respond to him. It's all because of the dreadful scar of his.

So William wondered, he wondered whether she could remain the same even having seen his face.

Even if it was a false hope, William wanted to have a try.