𝒩𝑒𝓌 𝒢𝒾𝓇𝓁 𝐼𝓃 𝒯𝑜𝓌𝓃 | 𝑀𝒶𝓇𝓁𝑒𝓎'𝓈 𝒫𝒪𝒱

"C'mon Marley, it's just a party. It'll be fun!"

I try to suppress an eye roll before grabbing an eyeshadow palette from the messy pile of products stacked on the floor beside me. I'd been in L.A. for about a month, and my best friend Allison had dragged me to nearly a dozen parties already. "Yeah, you said that the last time... and the time before that..."

She sat down on the floor beside me, peering over at my choice of eye shadow, flicking her auburn hair over her shoulder. "Well yeah, and they have been... except to you, I guess."

"Well, I wouldn't say that..." And to an extent, that was true. The parties were all fine, and I loved parties at home, but meeting new people (especially Allison's friends) was rather exhausting. Alli had moved from our home town of Seattle about six months before I had after making a killing off of a few sponsored Instagram

 posts, and she quickly fell into the social scene. Me, not so much. Though it seems a bit ridiculous, the culture shock had sort of gotten to me.

"Either way, this is going to be a fun one. You remember me telling you about my friend Jeff, right?"

"Mmmhmm..." I murmured through pursed lips, putting the finishing touches on my eyeshadow and grabbing a tube of mascara.

"Well it's a party with his friends, and they all seem pretty cool. They're pretty much all youtubers." She grins at me, foot tapping anxiously at the floor.

"Oh, well that just sounds so awesome. So cool." This time, I let her see my eye roll, and she playfully pushes my shoulder, letting out a huff.

"Whatever, I know you'll have fun..." She winks, then looks down at her phone. "You ready? The uber is here."

I sigh, pulling myself to my feet and smoothing out my black mini dress. "Yep. So ready."

"Perfect!" The word nearly comes out as a squeal, as Allison grabs my hand and practically drags me out the door.

---

Allison and I walk into the party, the room buzzing with chatter and music. Before we even get a chance to talk to anyone, I head for the fridge to mix myself a drink.

"Alli! Good to see ya!" A strikingly good looking man with a slight New York accent walks over, wrapping my best friend in a long hug, rocking her back and forth. "Whose your friend?" He asks, looking over to me with a cocked eyebrow.

"Hey, I'm Marley," I say with a smile, peering into the fridge and grabbing a bottle of orange juice. "Cool if I have some of this? I brought my own vodka."

"Uh, yeah, of course. Good to meet you Marley. I'm Jeff." He lets go of Allison, and she shoots me a look before heading off to socialize. "How do you know Allison?"

"She's my best friend from back home. We went to school together." I reply, pouring myself a very strong drink. Just to ease myself into the social scene. "How about you?." I sip my drink, wincing a bit at the taste.

Jeff smiles slightly, leaning against the counter and scratching at his chin. He looked almost a bit bashful, which I wouldn't have expected from someone so outwardly confident looking. "Oh you know... the whole social media thing. Instagram deals and whatnot. God, it sounds so douchey saying it out loud." He laughs, shrugging his shoulders.

"Maybe a little, but I get it." I laugh, throwing my drink back in one go and going to pour another. I hear Jeff whistle from behind me as I uncap the bottle.

"A bit eager?" He laughs, watching me with his head tilted.

"This isn't really... my scene. The alcohol helps."