...Could be a little greater

September 1, 2013

Sky found herself alone in the Godfrey's with Olivia. Sky woke before both Roman and Shelley and they were still asleep. Sky moved as slowly as she could not to wake Roman and Shelley. Sky got up to get an early start, the sun hadn't fully come up. There was a fog settled over the Godrey's lawn giving it rustic and olden feel and look. Sky went into Roman's bedroom, grabbed some clothes of hers out of Roman's drawer then went for the shower. When she was finished Olivia sat with her left leg over her right, back stiff and straight but still gave off the intimidation Olivia always gave off. Olivia was waiting for Sky. A small trace of a smile was on Olivia lips, or maybe it was a grimace. Sky couldn't really tell with Olivia.

There wasn't much of a deep relationship between Sky and Olivia. Olivia knew Sky since she was the age of four. That's when her and Roman met. That's when their friendship started. Four-year-old Roman would follow sky around like a lost puppy. They were inseparable and Roman always begged Olivia to see Sky at her house or he would beg Olivia to let Sky come over. Four-Year-Old Roman and Four-Year-Old Sky had always claimed the backyard as theirs and played until the sun went down.

"Would you like some coffee, dear? Apple juice?" Olivia asked. Olivia watched Sky's facial expression change at least three times, curiosity, fear and relief.

"Apple juice would be okay. Please." Sky said with much hesitance. She watched as Olivia, with much grace, moved around the kitchen.

"Thank you." Sky said as Olivia placed the drink in front of her. Despite Sky taking a sip of her juice her eyes never left Olivia.

Olivia was curious about the girl in front of her. Olivia saw Sky quite a lot giving she was around Roman nearly 24/7. Olivia didn't know much about Sky because she never cared to ask, Olivia was like that with most people. Though something was off about Sky. Olivia didn't know if the girl knew what she was or not. She knew quite a bit about what Sky was and Sky was the poster child for it, lack of emotional guidance (not that Olivia was any better at that than Dominic was), oblivious to people's feelings and more so her son's feelings.

"Do you ever question yourself, dear?" Olivia asked.

"Excuse me?" Sky said.

"You know, with you being a teenager. Most teenagers are messes but you...you seem like you have a hazy grip on your life. I never seen it before." Olivia answered. "Thought it would have rubbed off on my son..." Olivia's gaze went back to Sky.

"Guess it was just how I was raised." Sky said.

"Dominic." she said. "I'm somewhat acquainted with him, he's a rather strange man. Intelligent unlike most men, and he's...well you remind me of him. Of course he's your father-"

"He's not my father." Sky corrected.

"Ah, yes. How could I forget?" She was no stranger to things about Sky's life. She overheard Roman talking about Sky to Shelley plenty of times and in the rare cases Roman would go to her to talk about Sky. In those moments Olivia tried to give her son as much comfort as she could.

Sky started to feel uncomfortable. As she always did when someone brought up Dominic. It was her anger she felt towards him. It seemed like any conversation her and Dominic had something was always left ajar. Olivia questioning her and bringing up Dominic made her once clear head, addled. Their was a double meaning to this conversation that Sky obviously was not going to get out of her. Olivia wasn't the first to question how Sky was raised and she wouldn't be the last. Everyone was always so curious.

Muffled buzzing started to fill Sky's head and her vision was blurred, she was completely tuned out of the Olivia's words. Out of control is what Sky felt like and she could not understand why. She's never felt this out of place in a conversation of which Sky had many times before.

Clear voices started to emerge from the muffled voices. Particularly one that she knew very well. The voice was asking if she was okay and if she was ready to go. Sky stumbled out a yes before walking as fast as she could to Roman's car. Roman stared at Olivia before he left, it was obvious to him that something happened between the two of them.

"Leave her alone." Was all Roman said to Olivia, who seemed as if she just had the most innocent conversation with no implicit meaning.

Sky waited by the passenger's side for Roman. It took no time for Roman to emerge from the front door. He had a confused and worried expression that never really happened unless Shelley or Sky was involved.

"What the hell did she say?"

"Nothing, Roman. She didn't say anything. Let's just get to school before we're late."

"Fuck school, Sky. You look like you've seen a ghost." Roman said. He wasn't good with keeping his cool when Sky was the least bit distressed.

"I can't miss today, I already didn't go home last night. Dominic is gonna be on my ass more than he already is." She said. Sky left little to no argument with her tone, but that still didn't mean that he wasn't going to drop Shelley off and take Sky to their usual spot whenever they decide to skip school.

~~~~~

"I'm not mad." Sky said.

"You look like it," Roman said, "What did Olivia say?"

"She didn't say anything. She was just being—herself, I guess."

"You looked like you'd seen a ghost when I walked in." Roman said, he was rather persistent this time because of who upset Sky.

Sky wanted to say something, she felt something trying to physically and mentally restrain her. But this was Roman, he had seen so much of Sky that, maybe, very likely, nothing would dissuade him from her. No one has ever given that, no one has given her what Roman has.

"The dream I had last night...and what your mom said to me, I guess it—I don't know...scared me?" Sky said, unconsciously grabbing Roman's hand. They were now just inches apart. Sky, unbeknownst to her, started searching for...Roman physically, she needed physical contact to bring her back down. She started searching for his unalloyed affection or attention or both. Sky never searched to be surrounded with such feelings with anyone. It's like those feelings bounced off of her but now they seemed to settle on her.

In the vastness of her unorthodox mind, she started to slip. And it felt good. The familiar rumble of discomfort never came. This was the first time she was nervous holding eye contact with Roman despite wanting to be as close to him as possible. She thought her sudden burst of affection would deter Roman. Sky didn't know if she could really call it affection. She didn't know what she was doing.

"It might be nothing and I'm working myself up over nothing," Sky said. "Let's just enjoy this day of skipping school."