"I won't let you kill him"

Growling back at his king, Mao refused to back down and stood guard in front of the protagonist.

"King"

Nar was enjoying the show but he tried to placate the fight, as primary carer for the Heart, he wouldn't want to see it sad because King was sad.

"Maybe... You can make one exception? Let the child leave alive but he must be left at the entrance of the forest?"

"No... I want to care for him"

Now it was Nar's turn to be mad, he already begged for a way to let the child survive and you want to bring him closer to death!!?

"If you were any other creature, I would tear out your guts for daring to suggest that"

The dark aura grew darker shrouding the clearing in black mist, whichever plant touched the mist bursted into sparkles.

As the mist closed in on the protagonist, Mao wrapped his body around the child ready to receive the punishment for him. Suddenly all the mist faded and returned to it's dormant state around Rao.

"As King of Mirror Forest, I banish you from my home territory"

Rao technically owned the whole forest but he had section he would call his own, he conquered around half the forest leaving the other half for other predators to survive. The original Mao banished him to the outskirts of the forest where barely any spirit animals appeared, trees were less lush and human attacks were frequent on the living creatures there.

"The original Rao wanted to bring his brother back right?"

"Hmm, I suppose"

"I guess characters like this deserve pity"

Watching his brothers fading back, Shuu was a little sad to know he never was able to meet a protagonist that didn't scream murder in his face. His system never had a specific goal, sometimes it was die in the protagonists' hands, sometimes it was ruin the protagonist, it always changes.

"Nar, tell the rest they can celebrate until midnight"

Disappearing into the forest, the dark mist around him gradually faded into the night.

__________________________________________________

"What's your name"

Carrying the human child by his ragged clothing, Mao was worried he'd accidentally drop the child from the sheer tearing sounds the rag made.

Taking the child to a hollow tree, he placed him down inside and sat in front of the entrance. The protagonist looked at Mao warily but told him nonetheless.

"W-Wen WuLing"

Seeing his shivering form, Mao drilled into the tree and surrounded the protagonist in warmth.

"Your training starts tomorrow"

"H-huh?"

Opening one eye, Mao nipped Wen WuLing's finger drawing a deep cut. The blood began dripping onto the floor creating a tiny splotch on the dried wood. A bright light blinded them after Mao stuck his head underneath the bleeding finger.

"I, Mao Guardian of Mirror Forest agree to have you, Wen WuLing as my life-contract partner"

Shocked Wen WuLing wasn't sure what to think.

"R-Really?"

"Yes, now do you agree or not?"

Stuttering in joy, he almost started to jump up and down to celebrate but remembering the contract wasn't finished he quickly agreed to the deal.