1

Roselyn's POV

"Mom Summer says there is no good in people. Is that true?" I ask my mother.

"Of course not sweetie." She says turning back to Aunty Maya.

"What happened that made Summer think like that?" Mom asks her.

"I have no idea. I tried to protect her. I tried to make her feel loved." Aunt Maya replies.

"I still don't know why Uncle Josh left Aunty Maya." I say sadly.

"If I knew I'd tell you." Summer says.

"Why did you tell me there was no good in people? I've seen it for myself people are amazing." I say looking at the people around us on the subway.

"Not everyone." Summer says.

"Okay name one person who isn't good." I say smiling.

"Summer no. Remember the promise." Don says pulling her sleeve.

I learned awhile ago to stop asking about the promise. I could trust these people with my life but they couldn't trust me with theirs.

I found out about the promise awhile ago. It's to hide me from the real world the world full of terrible people. So I pretend that I don't know.

But how could I not know when I'm reminded constantly. At least once a day. People rob banks and kill and put people down for no good reason.

"I know what the promise is." I blurt suddenly.

"What?!" They both ask alarmed.

"I know you try to protect me from the world but it's too late. I've been hiding it for awhile. The world is a terrible place it always has been it always will be." I say looking at them both.

Summer's POV

She hid that from us to protect us. We've been trying to protect her this whole time but in reality she's been protecting us.

My real question is how she found out though. I hear her phone go off and look over at her to see her read something before putting her phone away.

"Who was that?" I ask worried.

"No one. I just got an app notification." She responds.

"You know, there is good in people." I say looking at her.

"What do you mean?" Rosie asks.

"You protected us from the truth. You helped us believe in the world. Of course there comes a time when everyone breaks." I say hugging her.

Roselyn's POV

I check my phone.

Unknown #-You're so weird why can't you just be normal?

There's my reminder that the world sucks.

"Who was that?" Summer asks sounding worried.

"No one. I just got an app notification." I lie.

"You know, there is good in people." Summer says shocking me.

"What do you mean?" I ask shocked that she thinks that.

"You protected us from the truth. You helped us believe in the world. Of course there comes a time when everyone breaks." She says smiling.

I give a small smile and nod as we get off the subway. We walk the rest of the way to school and I quickly walk to my locker as the others go to there's.

I wasn't lucky like my friends and family I don't have a locker near anyone I know.

"Oh look it's Rosie. Why are you here? Shouldn't you be singing and dancing and making a fool of yourself?" Natalie asks cackling.

"I would leave before Summer comes if I were you." I say not wanting them to get in trouble.

I hate getting people into trouble even if they deserve it. She rolls her and walks off just as Summer walks up.

"What did she want?" Summer asks glaring at her retreating figure.

"Oh she asked me to stay after school to help her with math." I say.

"Are you going to?" Summer asks raising a brow.

"I couldn't say no." I say as she sighs.

We walk into class and I put my head on the desk when I see my mother at the front of the class.

"Hello class I'm Mrs. Friar." She says smiling.

"Can I skip this class?" I ask raising my hand.

"No." She says laughing.

My phone dings and I check it.

Unknown #-You better not go crying to your friends or family. They don't want you anyways.

I put my phone down and ignore the stares from everyone in the class.

"Why do people try to convince me the world is a good place? Why did they try to hide it from me?" I ask without looking up from my desk.

"Because there comes a time when everyone needs a sunflower in the middle of all the roses." She says smiling.