SWIM AU

An: so I got this idea at a swim meet and am writing it after so relatively delirious. But yeah, fun times. Also breakdown of swimming seasons winter:sept-feb spring:(w/winter team)feb-mid June summer:mid June-July High school: aug- end of November
Also Harry is a backstroker, Louis distance free, Liam fly, Niall breast Zayn is a diver (Idk if Liam, Niall and Zayn will be in this but just putting that out there)(also juniors record for boys 100 back (scm) is 52.53) (that's important)

Harry and Louis had been friends for years. It started when seven year old Harry offered 9 year old Louis some goldfish and the two hit it off at a winter swim meet. Their friendship grew, always making sure to say hi to each other at practice or sit together at meets. Harry and Louis were inseparable when together, getting very little actual swimming done.
In high school, where Louis is a grade ahead, they continued. Harry sitting with Louis on the bus, or Louis joining Harry with his other friends at lunch. When high school swim starts up, it's a well known fact that Louis and Harry are the closest on the team.

Towards the end of warm up, during one high school meet, in , Harry somehow ends up with Louis clinging onto his neck as he walks around in circles. Soon Niall is also holding onto Harry's neck, and Louis kicks him.
"My Harold." Louis says, holding onto Harry tighter.
"Lou," Harry reminds. "not yours. You have to wine and dine me before that." Harry says before throwing Louis out into the pool.
"I'm not going to wine you my underage baby." Louis says, giving a sympathetic pat.
"You're a terrible husband." Harry says with a goofy grin.
"Yeah yeah." Louis says, before splashing Harry's face. Harry rolls his eyes, wading his way to the edge and getting out of the pool. "Help me out!" Louis says, and Harry sighs, reaching out an arm and helping Louis out of the pool.
"The things I do for you." Harry sighs and Louis wraps an arm around Harry's higher shoulders.
"I drive you to and from school everyday. The least you could do is help me out." Louis sighs, grabbing his large towel and wrapping it around Harry's and his own shoulders.
"Yada yada, you're old and superior." Harry jokes and Louis slaps his chest as they sit down to watch Zayn dive.
The two sit on the edge, with the rest of the boys swim team, Harry leaning against Louis and Louis running his hand through Harry's hair. Diving is quiet between the two, other than the occasional sigh of content from Harry and grimace from Louis when a diver goes too close to the board. When diving finishes the two stand up, and a small freshman (still taller than Louis) comes up to them.
"Louis, are you dating Harry?" He asks. Harry looks at Louis and they both burst out laughing.
"No, Harr and I are just really close friends." Louis says, ruffling Harry's wet hair.
"Oi!" Harry exclaims, slapping Louis' hand away.
"Don't hurt your elders!" Louis says pinching Harry's stomach.
"But we aren't actually dating." Harry clarifies.
"Oh, okay." The boy mutters before walking away.
"Do we act like we're dating?" Louis asks Harry with an eye roll.
"It's not the first time that's happened." Harry shrugs, grabbing his cap and goggles from his swim bag.
"Wait are the medley relays up first?" Louis asks, growing concerned.
Harry nods. "Yeah, before the 500."
"Shit, I'm swimming that." Louis says, grabbing his cap and goggles. Louis always works himself into a state when ever he is going to swim.
"You're on my relay team. You'll be fine Lou." Harry reminds, pulling his cap on.
"No I won't be. I'm gonna cause us to lose. I can't sprint." Louis protests, beginning to pace on the deck as the remainder of their relay team gathers around the two.
"Lou, babes, chill out." Harry says, grabbing Louis shoulders and bringing his eyes up to look at him. "This isn't JO's {junior olympics for anyone who doesn't know swimming}, this isn't zones or even zones qualifiers. Come here." Harry opens his arms and Louis practically launches himself into them.
"Fuck, you're amazing." Louis sighs.
"I know." Harry mumbles. "But Lou, this is literally the least important meet for you. I'm always happy to hug you, but baby, why do you care? Swim as hard as you can and that will be enough." Harry reminds, rubbing the back of Louis neck.
"You have to do this way to often." Louis sighs, breaking free from Harry's arms.
"I'll do it for you, any time, just calm down love." Harry reminds, as they walk over to the blocks.
"How are you so chill? You're the one who's going to make it to nationals this year." Louis reminds and Harry rolls his eyes.
"Stop making me seem good." Harry says, putting on his goggles.
"You are good. You've got this H." Louis reminds, giving Harry a pat on his back. Harry nods, relatively sheepishly, the slight fear of everything setting in. He's gone a 52.55 in practice for 100 back, but this race will set the tone for the meet, wether or not he's possibly going to break a record today.
The official instructs everyone to get in, Harry does, setting himself up on the block. Louis mouths good luck and Harry nods, before the buzzer sounds and he's racing. Before Harry realizes if he's finished, and Louis is helping him out of the pool while Niall is kicking.
"Good job Harr." Louis says, patting his back.
"Time?" Harry asks, taking in heavy breaths.
"25.5." Louis says, smiling ups at Liam. "Good luck." He smiles as Niall starts swimming in.
"Okay, Okay." Harry says, still trying to catch his breath.
"Harr, you've got this." Louis says, climbing up on the block.
"Shouldn't I be telling you that?" Harry asks. "Good luck Lou." Louis nods, preparing to swim. "Good job." Harry says, patting Niall's shoulder.
"You too." Niall smiles, before screaming "Go!" as Louis dives in. They all keep yelling, and Louis finishes quickly, the relay team winning.
The four celebrate briefly before Louis is swimming the 500, a little calmer than before. The meet goes smoothly until the very end when it's time for Harry to swim the hundred back. A few events before, Harry leaves his perch from Louis' side, sitting down on the bleacher and placing his head in his hands, trying to calm himself down. It only takes Louis a couple of seconds to realize Harry isn't okay, coming over and wrapping his arms around Harry's shoulder, pulling his head into Louis chest.
"H, you alright?" Louis asks, receiving no response. "H, usually this is the other way around, and I'm not the greatest at this, but you're going to be fine. I know you have it in you to break it, but I'll love you either way. If you break it I'll buy you ice cream and let you steal my hoodies, and if not I'll buy you ice cream and give you a singular hoodie as consolation."
"Harry, behind the blocks." The coach yells and Harry nods, tugging his cap on.
"And you can bet your little ass that I'm going to be yelling the absolute loudest for you. H, I love you, you've got this love." Louis reminds, walking Harry over to the blocks and giving him a forehead kiss of reassurance.
"Either way?" Harry asks, waiting momentarily to be ushered into the bulkhead of blocks.
"Any way. H, always will." Louis reminds and Harry gives him a fleeting look and Louis blows a kiss, earning a sheepish smile.
Louis walks over to where Niall and Liam are watching from the edge, as close to the. "Do you think he's going to do it?" Liam asks.
"Yeah, he's nervous. He's Harry, he doesn't get nervous unless it's for good reason. And his times in practice were right there, in a meet he's got us." Louis says as the swimmers get in. "He can, He will." Louis reassures before everyone goes quiet for the start.
As soon as the buzzer sounds the crowd is yelling, cheering in Harry. Louis keeps his promise, easily being the loudest, and as Harry does his third flip, still on pace, Louis goes as close to the blocks as he can, still screaming. Harry finishes a 52.50, and if there was any way for Louis get louder he did. As soon as Harry spots his time he grins, mentally screaming at his new record.
Harry congratulates the people on the each side of him before hoisting himself out of the pool, making his way as fast as possible to Louis. Harry doesn't have anytime to realize what Louis is doing until he's been lifted as high as Louis can into the air. Louis doesn't last long, setting Harry down before giving him another tight hug. "You did it babe!" Louis says once they break away, Harry's arms loosely wrapped around his neck. And if Louis really wants to kiss him, then that's something he'll deal with later.