Ch 19

A year

A year. That's how long it had been since Fran left. How long Beth had been married. How long Edward has been behind bars, and how long I had woken up beside the love of my life everyday. The shelbys never once told us we were to young. My sisters never questioned Finns intentions. Instead they stood by our side with smiles on there faces as Finn placed the most beautiful diamond ring on my finger. Life was changing. We were ready for that change.

"Charlie please stop crying!" I begged as I bounced Tommy's baby on my knee. He was off somewhere with his brothers as Grace finished getting ready. They would be married today. Who would have thought Thomas Shelby to be such a family man. "Charlie I swear I'll start if you don't stop." I sniffed wiping the tears off the child's face. "Please."

"He doesn't understand what you're saying you silly girl," Beth chuckled taking the boy from me and cradling him close to her chest. Her soft hums calmed the fussy baby before she handed him back to me. "You need the practice before this one comes," she placed a hand on her growing stomach. "And we can't have him crying during the ceremony."

"I'm doing my best!" I complained.

"Jo love I know but, right now do better. This will be you soon enough I'm sure," she winked kissing my cheek before running off and taking any chance of a response away from me. I decided to walk around with Charlie that seemed to keep his fussing more at bay as I waited to be told I could find my seat. It was a weird feeling being here at Tommy's wedding. I almost felt guilty, but Francis assured us all her lack of attendance was not due to jealousy but was due to her now very busy life.

"Josephine I was told to come find you," Michael grinned giving me a once over. "You look beautiful have you perhaps grown taller?"

"Do you plan to ask me that everytime you see me?" I shook my head kissing Charlie's cheek to make the boy giggle. "It's getting rather old Michael. Now tell me how are you? How are things?"

"Jealousy is getting the best of me I'm afraid. You see all of my cousins are surrounding themselves with the most beautiful women and I am still alone," he chuckled pulling me through the crowds of Calvert men. I couldn't help but have a sour taste in my mouth as Graces relatives turned their noses up at us my hand pulling Michael to a stop as I saw a familiar face. "Michael. That man over there he's..." I gulped as Rodney waves at me grinning the most disgusting grin. "Nevermind, now is not the time. Let us go watch the union."

"You alright love?" Finn whispered as I slid beside him my hand resting on his knee as I tried to look anywhere but at Rodney. "Josephine?"

"Do you remember Rodney?" I mumbled. Finn nodded his eyes searching the room. His whole body tensed when he finally found the man we both despised.

"I'll kill him." Finn growled.

"No love. Just make sure he keeps away okay. No fighting." Finn nodded but I could see a darkness in his eyes that I hadn't before. I was going to keep watch on him all night. Firstly so Rodney would stay away from me and secondly so Finn would stay away from Rodney. Today was not the day to shed blood. Today was a day to share love. "Finn Shelby promise me."

"Of course Jo." He kissed me gently but his voice was absent. That wasn't something he could promise. He had warned this man to stay away and he didn't listen. You should always listen to a peaky blinder.