Chapter 5 ~ Friends With The Enemy

Ben's POV:

After exploring the VKs hideout for a bit, I decided to try something. I pulled out my phone and searched my contacts for Uma. I looked under U and found Uma's contact, and I tapped on it.

7:06 PM

Ben: Hey.

Uma: Hey... who is this?

Ben: It's Ben. I wanted to say hi and maybe talk for a little.

Uma: Okay. I guess I can chat. What's up?

Ben: Nothing really. You?

Uma: Just woke up from a little nap. Gil tired me out.

Ben: Interesting. Wanna call?

Uma: Sure.

*Ben started a call*

Uma picked up. I smiled and waved. "Hi." She waved back. "Hey." I came up with an idea, "Can I come over to hang out?" I asked. "Sure. Be my guest." She smiled a bit and winked. I laughed a bit, "See ya there." I hung up, then got up off the couch, walking towards the door. Mal noticed me and raised an eyebrow. "Where are you going?" She asked, looking confused. I froze and thought of something to say. I didn't wanna lie to my girlfriend, but I didn't want her to be mad or worried. "Uhh, I . . . lost my wallet outside. I'm gonna go get it. Then get something to eat. Bye!" I quickly scurried out the door. I headed to Fish N' Chips, walking in. Uma immediately noticed me, "Welcome!" She said, smirking. I laughed a bit and walked down off the steps and over to her. "You're not going to capture me again, are you?" I asked, kinda meaning it but also kinda not. "We'll see. How's Mal feeling for saving you?" She asked back, giving a joking but also devilish grin. I rolled my eyes and smiled a bit, then sat down. "I have another question for you," I said, looking up at her. "Yes?" She asked, leaning her arms on the table so her face was down to the same level as mine. "Are you going to agree this time? For my offer?" I asked a little nervously. "The solution offer?" She said, raising an eyebrow. I nodded solemnly. "Hmm," She drawled, narrowing her eyes a bit in thought, "Yes and no." I gave a confused look, "What do you mean?" "I'll consider it IF . . . Every. Single. VK . . . can go to Auradon. That's my only offer." She responded, looking the most serious she has ever been about anything she's ever said. My eyes widened a bit, and I thought it over in my head. "I'd love to. But . . . I don't think my mom, dad, Fairy Godmother, or Mal would approve of it." I answered nervously. "Who cares what Mal thinks? I haven't for 7 years and I'm fine." She said, hiding the disappointed tone in her voice. "I'm sorry. But I just don't think we're ready for that yet. We have to start with small amounts. Take little steps, then one day everyone will come over. It may just take some time. We have to be patient." I said, looking down. "I don't have time to be patient! I've been trying to free everyone from this island for pretty much my whole life! I'm tired of waiting for change to take place!" She raised her voice a tiny bit, and the disappointment surged through her words this time. "I'm sorry. I really am. And trust me, if it was up to me, every single one of those kids would be off this island and getting a fresh start in Auradon. Even though I'm king, I don't have that much power without everyone's permission though. That's why I need you. You're a great leader, Uma, you and I could work together to work towards that goal." My eyes were desperate and I looked right at her. "I can't just abandon the Isle, Ben. The Isle is my home. Someone needs to be there to protect it." (Hehe, see what I did there? :P) She stood up, and looked down at me. "And you're doing a great job." I said, sad that she didn't take up the offer once again. She smiled the tiniest bit and nodded very slightly. Mal came in looking worried, "Ben? Ben???" She then noticed me and ran over to me, looking relieved but also still worried. "There you are! Why did you come back here? It's dangerous!" "I, uhh, you see," I stalled, getting up. "It's nothing. I told you I was hungry sooo . . . I chose to go here! Thank you for my meal." I said, turning to Uma. She completely caught onto my little lie, but purposely didn't play along. She lifted an eyebrow, "Uhh, what meal? You didn't ask for anything." I glared slightly, annoyed, and fake smiled, turning back to Mal. "She's just confused because we're getting along. That's all. Okay, let's go." I started to walk towards the door, but Mal grabbed my arm and held me back gently. "Ben. Tell me why you're actually here." I tried to think of another excuse, but my honesty took over. "Okay, okay. Fine. I came over to talk. We're actually becoming friends and she's really not as bad as she seems." I said, sort of talking fast. Uma gave a look like this.

 Uma gave a look like this

"Now. Let's try to get along. Both of you say something nice about each other. Mal, you start." I smiled a bit, looking at Mal. "You've spent way too much time with Evie," She said, rolling her eyes. I cleared my throat, "Aherm. Go ahead." Mal took a deep breath and I could tell she was thinking of something. Uma smirked and raised an eyebrow, waiting for Mal to compliment her.

 Uma smirked and raised an eyebrow, waiting for Mal to compliment her

Mal sighed and avoided eye contact, "Umm, you're a very good leader of the Isle and pirates or whatever

Mal sighed and avoided eye contact, "Umm, you're a very good leader of the Isle and pirates or whatever." I smiled and looked at Uma, who was still smirking. "Your turn." I said. Her smirk fell and this time Mal was the one grinning a bit. "...You... are a good leader of Auradon...?" She mumbled, crossing her arms and also not making eye contact. I grinned, "Good job! Now give each other a friendly hug." "Nope." They both said in unison, glaring at me a bit. "Oh well. We're getting there." I said, still smiling a little. "I'm gonna go find Harry. See ya." Uma said, turning to walk away. "Bye." I replied, walking out with Mal.