How to Be a Small Business Consultant - 18 Step Checklist

How to Be a Small Business Consultant – 18 Step Checklist

How do you grow your small business consulting practice? What skills do you need?

Here are 18 steps to becoming a small business consultant. Whether you call yourself a consultant, coach, advisor or mentor, these steps will help you develop skill sets as well as grow your business.

I've been a small business consultant a long time, and these are the essentials that have worked for me. I think they'll work for you, too.

The Coach-Consultant Concept

A small business consultant works with clients on strategy, planning and problem solving, and helps clients develop business skills and knowledge. These topics range from designing a business model or marketing plan, to determining which marketing techniques to use and how to use them. You'll often help clients learn how to plan and implement projects. A small business consultant gives advice, teaches skills, and brainstorms with the client to produce practical results and enhance strategic thinking.

A small business coach helps clients to create success by focusing on personal development: time management, self-sabotaging behavior (like procrastination and distraction), finding clarity, decision making, and getting into action. When you put on your coaching hat, you don't give advice. Instead, you help the client find the answers from within themselves.