The Art of Saying Goodbye

Saying goodbye is one of the hardest things in life, whether you’re saying goodbye to a couple of inches off of your hair’s length, or to your best friend.

        Like all hard things, people handle saying goodbye differently. First you have the waterworks; the ones who always cause a scene no matter where they are or what/ who they’re saying goodbye to. Then you have the stoics; the ones who are fine with a slight nod and a handshake (even if they’re saying goodbye to their dying mother). You also have the sunflowers; the extremely cheery ones who start making plans the moment they say goodbye, and decide ‘goodbye’ is a terrible way of putting it so they replace it with ‘see you, later’. Lastly there’s me; I don’t know how to say goodbye.

        You can never predict how I will react, and I’ve fit into all of the three categories mentioned above at some moment. At times, I’ve cried for days over cutting a couple inches of my hair, I’ve also been satisfied with only a slight nod and a polite “goodbye” when saying goodbye to some relatives, other times I’ve gone overboard smiling like a maniac and making plans about my bestfriend’s next visit, or how I will visit her before she had the chance to miss me.

         Bottom line, I’m weird and I already miss my bestfriend. But it’s okay because we’re already planning a visit in November and if I’m not mistaken, she hasn’t even boarded her flight yet.