EIGHTEEN

"where there is love, there is life

"where there is love, there is life."
____________

"Katniss, this dress is beautiful. Thank you." Katniss had gifted me one of Cinna's dresses he had designed for her. Finnick had wasted no time in arranging the wedding. Plutarch thought it was an excellent idea for a propo. He wanted Snow to see that even though they were beaten and broken, they could find happiness. I'd talked to my father the night before, telling him that even if I was angry at him, I could never hate him. I remember attending weddings in town. I usually didn't know the bride or groom, but it was customary for the whole town to put on their best clothes, and watched as the two lovers touched saltwater to their lips. I remembered being happy when there was a wedding. The whole town would dance all night. That was, until the peacekeepers forced them to go home. Even if it wasn't my true home, I still missed District 4. Finnick had told me what they'd done to 12, and I'd wondered if they did the same to my home. I couldn't imagine being in Katniss' shoes. Being the Mockingjay was a hard task by itself.

"He was too talented for his art to go to waste. You look beautiful, Coralia." Katniss says quietly. The door open behinds us and reveals the president; my mother. Katniss exits the room, and I stay silent. I don't know what to say to this woman. I should want to tell her about the boy I love, and the nightmares I faced everyday, but I couldn't get past the emotionless expression. There was no anger or joy, no sadness or resentment; it was like she was robotic. I watch as she takes a necklace off, and places it on my neck.

"Now you have something borrowed, old, and new." She says, a small smile gone as soon as it was there. I could tell she had her guard up just as high as mine. I nod, looking in the mirror. It was a different style than Affron's, who I had grown used to over the years. With the dress on, the healing gash on my chest was nearly invisible. I would still grimace if I bent a certain way; their beatings had not been kind. My mother fixes my dress at the bottom, as I bring myself to ask her a question.

"Do they know?" I ask, biting my lip. "Hmm?" She asks, not opening her mouth.

"The population of 13, do they know that your family is alive? Marina said you kept them hidden until I was rescued from the Capitol. They had no idea you were in charge of the entire district." My mother takes a deep breath before shaking her head. In that moment, I try to put myself into her shoes. What would I have done? Is it justifiable to leave your family believing you to be dead so you could achieve power? I think about this only for a second, because I know it isn't. I would never want Finnick to believe me to be dead - I know what that felt like. In the Capitol, it felt as if my whole world had crumbled. When I heard Finnick's screams, it hurt me more than any weapon could.

"I just...don't want to overwhelm them with everything. The people of 12, letting Peeta go with a full pardon, the bombing...I don't know how much more they can handle." She tells me. I don't understand this, because family has always been a good thing to me. Katniss had told me about the bombing, and how Finnick had exposed Snow's secrets. I was glad it was finally out; I never had to pretend to respect President Snow again.

Before I know it, I'm beside my father, who takes a hold of my hand.

"I've always wanted to walk you down the aisle. I'm sure this is not what you had in mind." He whispers. I turn to him, teary-eyed.

"I love you, dad, and regardless of everything, I couldn't imagine a world with you not in it. Thank you for raising me, and never complaining. Not once." I wipe my tears before they can ruin my makeup, knowing the woman who had done my makeup; Effie, would be outraged if it was running. My father squeezes my hand tightly. "I love you, too. No matter what happens, you and Marina come first."

Music starts, and I start walking as my dad wheels himself beside me. Finnick's eyes brighten when he looks at me, and I feel like the luckiest person in all of Panem. It feels like a lifetime before my father gives me away, and Finnick takes my hands in his.

"I, Coralia Underfell, take you, Finnick Odair, as my husband from this day forth. In sickness or in health, I will stand by you. Always." There weren't enough words to describe how I felt about Finnick, and if there were, I'm not sure I would be able to get them out.

"I, Finnick Odair, take you, Coralia Underfell, as my wife from this day forth. Together or apart, we will always be united. One life, one purpose, one destiny."  Memories of us playing in the ocean flash through my brain, and for once, everything feels right. We touch saltwater to our lips before the priest tells Finnick he can kiss me. Finnick pulls me in, kissing me slowly. Suddenly, it's just us. We aren't in District 13, we're in 4, and he's kissing me while the waves crash. People clapping bring me out of my fantasy, but I don't mind. I can see Cressida and her crew filming us.

As the wedding song from 4 plays, everyone dances. I'm brought back to the weddings in town. My smile never leaves my face, and neither does Finnick's.

As we cut into the beautiful cake that Peeta had made, I notice Katniss and Johanna talking with my sister; like they were conspiring somthing. I push that thought out of my mind, and am thankful that Peeta is well enough to be baking again. Of course, he's still shackled and heavily guarded, but slowly, things were getting better.

And for a moment, I thought that maybe, I could get used to this.