Chapter Seventeen

Marcel and I walked all the way back to the library with his hand still tightly in mine. As we walked, he looked around at each sound made by anybody. Any movement. Anything. This resulted in him nearly cutting circulating off my hand from his deathly grip.

But as I looked down at him, I realized he was only a boy. A young boy that is

so defenseless he gets bullied at school and I surmise at home as well.

My hand lightly pulled him closer before I slid my hand from his grasp and around his shoulders. Arriving into the air conditioned building, I pulled him back over to the study desks before seating us.

Marcel still stayed close to me as I put our lunch on the table. "Now, I know that there is a strict policy for no eating in the library. But we're going to break some rules." He looked down playing with his fingers as I pushed a sandwich and juice towards him. "Hope you don't mind egg. Or apple black current for that matter."

Marcel shook his head and carefully took a hold of his beverage.

"T-thank y-you." He choked out as I nodded.

"Anytime."

. . .

I put my sport uniform back into my locker and shut the door only to see Jasmine standing there beside me. "Jesus Christ!" I gasped putting a hand over my chest. "Scared the shit out of me." She shrugged as we then began walking. It wasn't until we reached the end of the hall where she started talking.

"Nicole. What the fuck are you thinking?!" She whispers loudly as I scrunched my face up at her. "That little stunt you pulled today was not cool! It embarrassed me!" I stopped in my tracks and shot her a glare.

"I'm sorry. Is me being nice to another human being making you uncomfortable?" She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"It's not like that Nicole. We're friends. We've been friends for a while now."

"Then what the fuck is the problem?" She sighed gripping her bag strap before holding our gaze.

"There's a party going on tonight. Bailey's house."

"Who the hell is Bailey. Not Bailey that hangs out with the assholes Bailey. Right?" Jasmine slumped annoyed in front of me as I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes Nicole. The 'asshole' Bailey's house."

"Then count me out." I pushed past her and towards the front school yard.

"You're ruining your reputation!" She yelled as I turned walking backwards to look at her.

"Then so be it! I don't wake up to impress the assholes at this school anyway!" Her lip slightly turned upwards in annoyance as I spun on my heel coming to the outside yard. It was still raining out here making me groan and walk undercover.

I walked past people who would always go silent as I passed. They wouldn't dare utter a word straight to my face. Sure they'd yell and create scenes in the cafeteria like earlier. But I've given some of these people a beating so they should know their place around me.

Then my eye caught something. Something I was really hoping to not see today.

"Such a freak!" A senior brought his foot to a defenseless Marcel's stomach as he cried out in pain. My fists balled and I found myself running over to the scene. Marcel had thick saliva dribble onto the ground beside his face as he clutched his torso.

The player brought his foot up to kick Marcel again but I shoved him away with my foot on his large ass. He stumbled into his friend and I took the gap to get to Marcel. People stepped away as I pulled Marcel up to a sitting position. He heaved and suddenly turned vomiting beside him. People backed up even more in disgust as Marcel began to fall backwards.

I caught him and crouched over him before pulling him up. I shut his bag properly and pulled him towards the car.

"You disgusting fag!" Someone called as we ignored them walking through the rain. Marcel weakly cried as his head rolled onto my shoulder.

"I've got you." I muttered bringing us to the car now wet. I put Marcel inside and got into my side before securing the vehicle shut. My teeth took the bottom lip between them as I pulled the car out onto the hazy road. Marcel wept weakly as I sighed putting a hand on his knee. "Let's get us home."