Chapter 44: The Final Cross Over to Blood

Start from the beginning

I turn to the remaining troops of werewolves and give them the order to get out. Their mission is over.

Mine isn't quite done just yet.

 Tamarind's POV:

 There a loud rumble spreading across the tunnels and it's heard above the earth shattering noises of the further end of the base collapsing in.

 It's wolves...howling.

 Their alpha is dead.

 I swallow at this, pained. This is difficult for me. I never wanted him to die. I never wanted anyone to die...

 But I have to keep moving. If I have to leave Slate behind then so be it. So long as Drew survives, then I've accomplished my mission.

 "Wait."

 I stop short at his groggy pained voice, barely audible, but I'd heard. He'd put all that effort in to speak to me when he's slowly suffocating.

 "Drew we have to keep moving." I tell him, supporting his weight as he limps along slowly with me. But he tenses at my words as if not pleased.

 "I said..." he falters off, "Wait for him." he finishes with conviction, even in the state he is, he still comes across intimidating and demanding.

 I stop moving completely and turn to see if Slate was still far behind. He was. He seemed unmoving, almost as if in a trance.

 What is going on with him?

 He needs to get moving or he'll cost us all.

 But it's his father...

 It's his father.

 I let his father die.

 I owe him this much. So with nothing else to say, I nod at Drew, giving him his wish, "Okay." I say, deciding to listen to him for once. He relaxes against me, letting out a breath of relief. He was afraid he'd lose Slate after Slate had just saved him. I turn to face Slates way, calling rather loudly to be heard above all the noise, "You coming Slate?!"

 Slate's POV:

 "You coming Slate?!" Tamarind shouts, actually having stopped with Drew beside her.

 She actually waited.

 She must have known that he was my father. There's no other explanation for her actually doing something compassionate like waiting for me.

 I glance from the wolf's dead body to Tamarind and then to Drew who is barely breathing. I could tell them that I'm the new alpha, but then I'd have an enemy in Tamarind forever. Drew would hate me. But this is who I am now. I'm beginning to understand Fourie's dilemma: to make a choice.

 I can't tell them.

 This is my secret to carry, my purpose to fulfil.

 With that in mind, I move the sleeve of my shirt to cover up the bite mark which seems to be healing at a rapid pace now. 

 "Coming!" I shout, standing up and suppressing my new abilities and power as I sprint after Tamarind and take hold of Drew with a new found strength, easily helping him move along so we could get the hell out of this place before it caves in.

 Drew's POV:

 The further we get away, the more oxygen that fills my lungs, the better I'm able to breathe and move on my own. Eventually Tam releases me, letting Slate support the side of me where my leg is stuffed up. She's better able to defend us without me slowing her down. We need Tam on the look out. Apparently she's the best fighter from us.