𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

"I think I'm in love with Richie."

It's the first thing Eddie says when Stan opens the door. Stan doesn't react, just stares, and it makes Eddie feel uneasy. They keep eye contact for a second before Stan steps back and says, "Come in."

Eddie steps into the house, looking around and rocking on his feet. Stan leads him through the halls of Bill's house until he reaches the living room, where Bill is sitting on the couch watching TV. "Bill, you have a visitor."

Eddie looks at Stan with wide eyes, because he didn't say he had come here to see Bill. It was true, though, and Eddie had no idea Stan would even be here. Bill grins when he sees Eddie, standing up to greet him. "Eddie!" He says, eveloping him in a hug. "How are you?"

"Good," Eddie says with a shrug.

"Well, don't lie to him," Stan buts in. He turns to Bill and raises his eyebrows. "Eddie here has a bit of a dilemma." Bill looks at Eddie in concern. Eddie doesn't make a move to say anything, so Stan does it for him. "He says he thinks he's in love with Richie."

Bill raises his eyebrows. "You think ?"

"Check him for a fever."

"Stan, don't,"

"Your stutter," Eddie says. Bill furrows his eyebrows. "Your stutter - I mean, I haven't heard you stutter once since I got here."

"Oh, right." Bill's cheeks turn pink. "I've just been in a good mood lately, which usually huh-helps. I'm not perfect though," he says with a shrug.

"That's awesome, Bill," Eddie says with a genuine smile. "I know how much you hate it."

"Yeah," Stan grins devilishly. "Eddie's new lover boy will get a real chuck out of it."

Eddie blushes furiously. "Shut up, Stan," he says sharply. "I'm serious! Ben and Bev talked to me today. The love thing, you know. It helped, it really did," he explains as the three of them sit on the couch. "I'm going to talk to Jake. Break up with him." Bill grins at this, reaching forward and patting Eddie's shoulder. Eddie smiles, too, but it doesn't last very long. "But, everything they said. About how they feel about each other. I - that's how I feel about Richie."

"You're sure?" Stan asks, and Bill glares at him.

"I'm sure."

"Why are you so upset ab-b-out that?"

Eddie shuffles his feet against the floor. "I'm not upset about. I don't think I am, anyways. I just - I don't know what to do about."

"Talk to him," Stan suggests, leaning forward to look at Eddie with a soft smile. "I can promise you won't be upset with the response."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Eddie asks, tilting his head to the side. He thinks he knows what Stan means, but he doesn't want to get his hopes up. Jesus - when did his mind become like this?

"Ignore him," Bill says. "I do agree with him, though. You should truh-try to talk to him."

"I kind of want to wait until this is all over with, you know?" Eddie shakes his head and looks away from them. "I'm sorry - I just showed up here. I should've called first, or something, I-"