Malty Melromarc (Rising of The Shield Hero) Pt.3

Malty Melromarc

Rising Of The Shield Hero

Light Lemon

The final chapter in the epic Redemption Trilogy!

You had managed to repair the damaged wagon, and made it to Watergroove with plenty of time to rest at the tavern.

Your rest was short kept, however, as word of an approaching storm caused you to rally your workers to try and reach the kingdom before rainfall.

You and Malty took the last wagon in the convoy, which held the supplies, and rode for several hours.

You managed to ride until nightfall, where the storm was barring on you both.

Luckily, as this was not the first time the weather hindered you, you had a cottage under your name nearby with a storage house that could protect the wagon and it's contents from the rain.

You calmed your horseman from ahead, and told him to inform the rest of the convoy of your delay, which he took as he ran ahead of you as you turned through the thick trees to the cottage.

You and Malty managed to secure the wagon and horses, and made it inside the cottage just before rainfall, with Malty lighting several candles to illuminate the living room as the storm raged.

As the night was late, Malty had changed into a nightgown, while you only took off your shirt, revealing your deep, terrible scars.

You poured a glass of brandy for yourself as Malty approached you from behind.

Malty: Have you ever thought of seeing a doctor about those scars? At the very least, they could reduce them to look less bloody.

You: No, I wear them as a reminder.

Malty was taken aback by your words, but relented, and sat at the couch as the storm outside raged.

You: Did you finish your book?

Malty: Yes, actually. I read the last few pages while we were at the tavern.

You: And how did it end? Did the dragon meet it's end?

Malty: No, in fact, the dragon turned out to be the result of a cruel experiment by an evil wizard, it was a soldier.

You: A human soldier?

Malty: Yes, and the knight was his wife, who had spent years searching for him. And with her love, she turned him back into the man he was.

You: Interesting, and the village?

Malty: They were cautious to accept the soldier into their society, but after his wife showed that their was good in him, they welcomed him with open arms.

You: Quite the plot twist.

Malty: Yes...

Malty trailed off in a deep thought.

Malty: Why did you save me from execution?

You: That's a sudden question.

Malty: That book made me think that maybe you saved me...to save yourself...from what you did.

You went silent.

Malty: I know what you did hurts, and I know you don't want to talk about it, but you've done so much for me, that I just want to do one thing for you. I want to understand you, the way you understand me.

You sat next to Malty.

You: I...was born the son of a knight of my native kingdom, and was taught to despise whatever was not of our descent. With that rage in my heart, I too became a knight, and set out on conquest after conquest in the name of my country. The lives I took both in and off the battlefield were immeasurable, but I didn't care, as to me, the ones I struck down were not even human, just obstacles in the way of my kingdom and people. Then, one day, I was sent out alone on a mission to destroy a storehouse run by your kingdom, and I broke in without a moment's thought. When the rage had subsided, when the blood was set...I...