Chapter 3: Dobby's Warning and Gilderoy Lockhart

Start from the beginning

After their photo was taken, Lockhart lightly shoves Harry back to the line as he takes his seat. He said, "Now ladies?" Harry walks back to Snape, looking annoyed. Snape looks as equally annoyed as he said, "Are you alright, Harry?" Harry nods, "I'm ok, dad. I can't believe he did that? Like I want more fame." Snape said, "It will be ok, Harry. Don't worry." Snape adds, "Hand me those books, I'll get your Standard Book of Spells Grade 2 for you. Wait up front for me, Harry." Harry nods and hands Snape the books. While Snape went to get the Standard Book of Spells Grade 2, Harry went to the front of the shop and waits for Snape by the check-out counter. Malfoy, who was by the stairs, spots Harry and said, "I bet you love that, didn't you, Snape. Famous Harry Snape. Can't even go into a book shop without making the front page." Suddenly the top of a cane taps Malfoy on the shoulder. Harry looks up to see a blonde-haired wizard, who looks almost identical to Malfoy. The only difference was that his blonde hair was long and pulled back into a ponytail. He said, "Now now, Draco, play nicely." Malfoy moves to the side as he sighs. The wizard steps forward and said, "Mr. Snape." He takes the boy's hand and shakes it as he smirks, "Lucius Malfoy, we meet at last." Lucius pulls Harry towards him and brushes his hair aside with his cane, to look at the scar. He said, smirking, "Forgive me. Your scar is legend. As, of course, is the wizard who gave it to you." Harry glares at Lucius, "Voldemort killed my parents." Lucius let's him go, his smirk fading. Harry continues, "He was nothing more than a murderer." Lucius smirks again, "You must be very brave to mention his name, or very foolish." A deep, silky voice said, from behind Harry, "Fear of the name, only increases fear of the thing itself, Lucius." Harry turns around to see Snape looking at Lucius with a cold, blank expression on his face. Snape was holding Harry's books in his hands. Lucius smirks at Snape, "So it's true, Severus. You've adopted Harry." Snape said, "I did, on Dumbledore's orders. Since Dumbledore didn't trust anyone else, with the boy. He also had the boy take my surname as well, since I was adopting him." Lucius still smirking, said, "I see. Well, Draco has told me all about it. I do hope you know what you are doing, Severus." Snape said, "I know full well what I'm doing, Lucius." Lucius said low enough for only for the 2 of them to hear, "So, do you plan to hand the boy over to the Dark Lord if he manages to return?" Snape turns to Harry and gives him a look as if to say, 'Don't worry, you're safe.' He hopes Harry understood him as he turns back to Lucius and smirks, "Obviously. I have gain the boy's trust, just as I have planned. So, that when the Dark Lord does return. I can grab the boy and go to him when he calls us to him." Snape adds, "As long as Dumbledore doesn't get in the way." Lucius said, "Good. For a moment there, I thought you truly cared for the boy. I couldn't fathom why you would raise the son of the man who made your life hell at Hogwarts, but I understand better now." Snape smirks, "Never doubt my skills, Lucius." Lucius smirks, "I shall never doubt your skills again, Severus." Snape smirks as Lucius said, "Come, Draco, we have books to buy." Lucius walks further into the shop as Malfoy said, "See you at school, Snape." Malfoy goes after his father, leaving Snape and Harry alone at the front of the shop. Snape said, "Pay for your book, Harry, so that we can get out of here." Harry nods and pays for the book. They leave the shop and head to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. They sit down and eat their ice cream. Harry was eating a banana split while Snape was eating a sundae. Harry said, "Dad? You only said those things to Lucius so that he wouldn't be suspicious, right?" Snape nods, "Yes, Harry. I'll explain more, when we're home." Harry said, "Ok, dad." They resume eating their ice cream. After they finished eating, they went and got everything else they needed, apart from potion ingredients. They head back to the Leaky Cauldron and used the floo network to get back home. Once home Harry put his school supplies in his trunk while Snape went to restock Harry's ingredients.

After Snape restocked Harry's ingredients and Harry had everything packed in his trunk, Snape has Harry sit on the couch. Harry said, "That wizard we met at the book shop, that was Malfoy's dad wasn't it?" Snape nods, "Yes, Harry. That was Lucius Malfoy, father of Draco Malfoy." Harry said, "He's a deatheater, too. Just like you used to be." Snape nods, "He is, yes. Be very cautious around him." Harry nods, "You were a little scary dad, while you were talking to him." Snape said, "My apologies, Harry. I had to be, so that he wouldn't suspect that I cared about you." Harry said, "What did he say to you, dad?" Snape said, "He asked me if I was going to hand you over to Voldemort. Naturally, I said yes, as soon as he returned. I only said it, so as not to raise suspicions. If he knew that I loved you as a son and cared about you, he would tell Voldemort as soon as that madman returns." Snape looks at Harry for a moment and said, "As you know, I am Dumbledore's spy. I must remain a spy until Lord Voldemort is defeated for good." Harry said, "So, he will find a way to come back, won't he?" Snape nods, "Yes, Harry, he will find a way and when he does...." Harry finished, "He'll be coming after me...." Snape nods, "Yes, Harry, but if he wants you, he will have to go through me first." Harry smiles as he hugs Snape. Snape hugs him tightly and said, "If Dumbledore truly feels that Lord Voldemort will return, then I must do my duty as spy. As well as protecting you. I won't let anyone hurt you, Harry." Harry said, "I know dad, I know." After they hugged, they had some sandwiches for lunch, with some pumpkin juice. After they had lunch, Snape takes him to his potions lab to teach him how to brew a potion or 2 that he will be learning in class. Meanwhile, Lucius had put his plan into action, as he met the Weasleys on the way out. He confronted the patriarch of the family, insulting him. Then without their knowledge, he dropped a black book into Ginny's cauldron, along with her second-hand Standard Book of Spells Grade 1, before leaving with his son, Draco. The plan was a success, now all he had to do was wait. As the saying goes, "Good things come to those who wait."