Chapter 3: Dobby's Warning and Gilderoy Lockhart

Start from the beginning

Later that week, Harry's letter arrived telling him of the new books he will need. Snape had arrived home by the floo network, looking irritated. Harry said, "I got the list of things I'll need for Hogwarts this year." Harry looks up at Snape and said, "Are you ok, dad? What's wrong?" Snape said, "You have a new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, Gilderoy Lockhart. He's about as arrogant as your father once was. If I recall, Lockhart was sorted to Ravenclaw House. He certainly doesn't act like most Ravenclaws I know." Harry said, "That explains the books. Here." Snape takes Harry's Letter and reads it. It read:

Second-year students will require:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk

Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart

Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart

Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart

Year with the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

Snape's eyebrows furrow as he said bitterly, "Lockhart's books are very expensive.... Typical." Snape sighs, "You're going to have to take a bit more money out of the vault than normal to afford these books. The Standard Book of Spells Grade 2 however, is more affordable. So with your money, we can get you new school robes, as the ones you have do not fit you any longer. As well as your text books. We won't have to go to the apothecary to refill the ingredients you'll need, as I have those in my stores. I'll restock all of your ingredients that you will need for my class. We will buy rolls of parchment as well as a stack of loose parchment, some ink bottles and quills, and some journals and notebooks." He looks over at his owl and adds, "And of course owl treats for our owls. We'll get some ice cream at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor, afterwards. Does that sound good to you, Harry?" Harry nods, "That sounds great, dad!" Snape smiles, "Good. Go and get ready, Harry. We're going to Diagon Alley." Harry grins as he puts his shoes on and pockets his wand. He grabs his pouch, which held a few galleons and pockets it as well. He puts on his cloak, comes back downstairs and said, "I'm ready dad." Snape said, "Good. We'll be taking the floo network to the Leaky Cauldron." Harry nods as he follows Snape to the fireplace. Snape holds the bowl, while Harry takes a handful of the powder. Snape said, "Now, just throw the powder into the fireplace and wait for the fire to turn green. Then, you step into the fireplace and say, 'Diagon Alley!' The floo network will whisk you away and take you to your destination. Understood?" Harry nods, "I understand, dad." Snape moves back allowing Harry to step up to the fireplace. Harry threw the powder into the fireplace, making the fire turn green. Harry steps into the fireplace and said, "Diagon Alley!" The flames consume him and whisks him away to the Leaky Cauldron. Snape follows soon after.

Harry comes out of the fireplace and falls face first onto the floor. Harry hears a snap and sees that his glasses broke in two. As Harry was getting up from the floor, Snape comes through. Snape pulls out his wand and cleans off the soot. He sees Harry standing there holding his broken glasses. Harry said, looking a bit sad, "I fell on my face and broke my glasses...." Snape said, "It's alright, Harry. Hand them over and I'll fix them for you." Harry smiles slightly and hands Snape the broken glasses. Snape holds the two broken pieces in his hand. Snape points his wand at it and said, "Oculus Reparo!" The 2 pieces came together and fixed themselves. Snape hands the now fixed glasses to Harry. Harry takes the glasses and puts it on. He smiles and said, "Thanks, dad." Snape smiles, "You're welcome, Harry." He puts his wand back up his sleeve and said, "Come along, Harry, we need to get your school supplies." Harry nods and follows Snape to the back of the inn. Harry remembers how Snape tapped the bricks to make the archway. He said, "Can I tap the bricks, dad? I've seen how you did it." Snape smiles and said, "Very well. Let's see if you can do it, Harry." Harry smiles and pulls out his wand, He taps the bricks that he had seen Snape do, then stood back. A hole appears and begins to grow. It continues to grow until it becomes an archway. Harry grins as he puts his wand away. He said, "I did it, dad!" Snape smiles, "That you did, Harry. Well done." Snape and Harry went to Gringotts Bank and filled their pouches with galleons, sickles and knuts. They leave the bank and go to Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions, where Harry bought new school robes. They went and got everything else he needed, before going to Flourish and Blotts. They enter the book store to find a line of witches. Snape wonders why there was a long line. He spots a pile of books by the window. Each book had the title Magical Me, by Gilderoy Lockhart on them.  There was his answer. Snape mutters, "Lockhart." Then turns back to the front as a wizard said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Gilderoy Lockhart!" Everyone in the shop clapped except Snape and Harry, as a blonde-haired, wizard dressed in lilac robes, comes in from the back of the shop. Snape could now see a desk and chair, where Lockhart will sit and sign autographs. Lockhart smiles widely showing sparkling white teeth as he waves at the witches. A short wizard with a camera moves to the front as he said, "Excuse me lad, this is for the Daily Prophet." Snape and Harry move out of the way to let him through. Once at the front, he moves to the side and starts to take pictures of Lockhart. As Lockhart was getting his photo taken, he spots Harry and said, "It can't be....Harry Potter....?" The wizard with the camera turns around and grabs Harry and said, "Harry Potter!" Before Snape could say anything, Harry was taken up to Lockhart. Lockhart grabs Harry and holds him next to him and grins as he said, "Nice big smile, Harry. Together you and I will raid the front page." The wizard takes a photo of them. Snape said loudly, "The boy's name is Harry Snape, not Potter. He willingly changed his name to take my surname. Since I am his adoptive father." The wizard who took their photo said, "My apologies, sir. I'll make sure his name is written correctly in the Daily Prophet." Snape stands there looking angry. Lockhart ignores Snape and continues to hold Harry at his side, as he said with a big smile, "Ladies and Gentlemen, what an extraordinary moment this is. When young Harry stepped into Flourish and Blotts this morning to purchase my autobiography, Magical Me...." The crowd claps as Harry shakes his head no. Snape was seething at Lockhart, he was blatantly lying to the crowd! Snape knew full well that Harry wasn't there to buy the book, Magical Me! He was using Harry's fame to further his own fame! Lockhart continues, "Which incidentally, is currently celebrating its 27th week atop of the Daily Prophet's best seller's list. He had no idea, that he would in fact, be leaving with my entire collected works, free of charge." A wizard hands Lockhart his entire collection of his work. Lockhart puts the collection into Harry's hands as everyone claps. He holds Harry against him as their photo was taken again.