I May Have Been Wrong About The Warlords After All

Start from the beginning

"Let's get you home," I whispered to her before carrying her back to the castle.

Once I got back, Mai and Hideyoshi greeted us and they were surprised when they saw Sora sleeping in my arms.

"Sora?" Mai called out to her but she didn't wake up.

"Wow, she's completely out of it, hang on, was she crying?"

Mai asked after noticing the dried tear stains on Sora's cheeks. I nodded my head and I told her.

"Yeah, the poor lass hasn't gotten over the trauma that she went through, no wonder she's always keeping her distance from us and biting our heads off."

"Well, I don't know what you did to help her sleep peacefully like this but, it looks like it worked."

Mai spoke with a smile on her face. Hideyoshi looked at me and he asked me.

"Something traumatized her? what was it?"

"It's not my place to tell you, anyway, I better get this girl to bed before she wakes up."

I said as I walked passed Hideyoshi and Mai. I got back to Sora's room and I carefully and gently placed her on the futon. I pulled the covers over her sleeping form and I gently stroked the top of her head.

"Nothing can hurt you anymore Sora and it's not your fault that your friend died, don't ever blame yourself like that again, you're never alone in this world."

I was about to leave until Sora grabbed my sleeve. My first thought was that she was awake but, it turns out she was still asleep and she mumbled.

"Don't...don't leave me..."

I can tell from the expression on her face that she was about to have a bad dream so, I held her hand and I stayed by her bedside until the bad dreams were gone.

THE NEXT DAY...

SORA'S POV

"Sora? Sora?" Mai called out to me.

I groaned a little and I slowly opened my eyes. I sat up and I stretched a little.

"Finally, it's about time you woke up," Mai said to me but, it didn't sound like she was annoyed, she sounded...relieved?

I looked around and I noticed that I was back in my room.

"I'm in my room...? how'd I get back here?"

"You don't remember? Masamune brought you back and you were fast asleep."

"I was? and Masamune brought me back here?"

"Yeah, I came to check up on you a few times and you hadn't woken up until now. Believe it or not, you slept pretty much all day."

I looked out of my window and she was right, it was now in the afternoon.

"I slept that long? I guess that means the nightmares didn't came to me last night."

"Maybe that's because Masamune stayed by your side all night until those nightmares weren't bothering you."

"Masamune stayed by side?"

I was so surprised by this but, it does explain why I felt like I was at peace. I smiled a little and I thought to myself.

'Weird..when Masamune comforted me last night, I didn't think I'd feel safe the way he held me...but, doesn't mean I should let my guard down that easily...'

"I know what you're thinking, you're wondering 'is this why I felt safe and happy in my dreams?' or 'was I wrong about the warlords all along?'" Mai teased.

"Don't push it, Mai, just because I was finally able to get a decent sleep doesn't mean that I was wrong about Masamune and the others, I still think they're trouble."

I said as I got out bed and fixing my clothes and my hair. Mai giggled and she mumbled.

"There's that tsundere side again~"

"Mai, don't call me that."

"All right, Sora the Tsundere soldier, *giggle*"

"That's it!! get over here!" I shouted before chasing her.

"Kya! Sora-nee is mad!!"

Mai shouted before I chased her out of the room. I caught her in time and I tickled her sides.

"This outta teach you a lesson!"

"Hahahaha!! Sora stop it!!"

"Not until you apologize!" I spoke with a grin.

"Hahahahaha!! help! somebody! Sora, is gonna tickle me to death!"

"No one can hear your cries for help, silly sister."

"Hahahaha!! Sora! stop it! hahahaha!!"

"Do you give up?!" I asked her as I continued to tickle her.

"Hahahahaha!! okay! okay! I give up!! hahahaha!! I'm sorry!!"

I stopped tickling her sides and then Mai panted from laughing so much.

"There, that wasn't so hard now was it?"

"...You...are gonna pay for that..."

"Ha! I'm an ex-soldier, you can't catch this girl off guard," I spoke with a grin while ruffling her hair.

Mai smiled at me and she said to me.

"There's that smile."

"Hm?"

"That bright smile you used to have, it's finally back."

I was surprised at first and then I looked away from Mai.

"That's the first time you've smiled about something in a very long time Sora, if you ask me, being in the Sengoku does have it's good points after all."

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh you know, a certain One-Eyed Dragon was able to break down that wall that you built around yourself."

I blushed a little and I shouted

"Don't be ridiculous! there's nothing going on between me and that stupid dragon! I was showing weakness to him and it was very bad timing as well, so don't get any funny ideas!"

I said as I walked away from Mai. I sat down at the porch and I glanced at the afternoon sky.

'Maybe Mai's right...perhaps, I may have been wrong about the warlords after all...'

I thought back to when I first met them, I remembered how deadly and bloodthirsty they looked as they fought against the ronin and how Mai was put in harm's way. However, after seeing some of the warlords acting differently compared to that day, I realise now that they're not as dangerous as I thought they were.