Chapter Three

"What are you doing here?!" I asked him, standing from my spot beside the lake to look at him.

"I'm allowed to be here you know" he said, and sighed when he caught my suspicious glance at him. "Can I sit?" He asked, and I looked at him for a little longer, before nodding slowly and sitting back on the edge of the lake.

Draco made his way over to my, and sat beside me. For a while, it was quiet, and we watched over the lake as the sun began to rise slowly.

"I actually wanted to talk to you" he said, startling me from my thoughts.

What would he want to talk about? And more importantly, why would he want to talk to me?

He took my silence as an invitation to go on, and began to speak his mind.

"I... I just wanted to apologise" he said in a small voice so unlike the Draco I had known and come to hate.

His words shocked me so much that I turned to face him, forgetting for a moment that he was the enemy.

"I realise in the past I've been... well I've been a bit of a prick" he laughed softly, and I smiled despite telling myself not to.

"I haven't been the nicest to you, and I realise that now. The war... it made me think about things" he looked out over the lake, no doubt pushing back memories from the past year.

"I'm trying to apologise to the people I've hurt over the years, and I know over hurt you a lot" he looked away from me then and focused back on the lake. "Its just that, I was taught..." he began, and shook his head, deciding against telling me whatever it was he had began to say.

"You don't have to say anything, or even accept it, I just want you to know that I'm sorry for the way I treated you before"

He waited for a second, surveying my face, before nodding and standing up. I watched him make his way back to the castle before glancing out at the lake again.

Draco Malfoy had apologised to me for his actions... that didn't sound right. Maybe this was a dream? Although why I'd dream about Malfoy of all people was beyond me.

No, this had to be real. So why had he apologised?

I glanced back up at the castle, and then to the lake again. The sun was almost fully visible, so I guessed it must almost be time to head back inside and get ready for lessons.

All the while, Draco's words were running through my head.

"I just want you to know that I'm sorry for the way I treated you before"

Had he meant something by that, or was I just overthinking as always? It seemed impossible for him to have not only recognised his errors but to try and make peace as well?

When I walked into the great hall, I saw Draco talking loudly with his friends again. Just as obnoxious as always. But he had spoken so softly at the lake, and he seemed sincere in his apology.

When I walked into the hall, his eyes met mine, and for just a second, it seemed like we could be friends.

But the second passed - Draco returned to his friends, and I walked over to the Gryffindor table with Ginny.

Was he as caught up in this as me? Maybe this was a method to try and get me to.... no, it didn't make sense.

The only conclusion I could draw was that he was entirely serious about his apology. So where did I stand on accepting it?

---

Hey guys! Long time no see... I thought I was about time I updated this again (though I wouldn't expect this to be consistent...) I definitely want to try and get more chapters out, and soon!
Hope you enjoy reading!
- Author