"D'you think they would've been friends?" Bill asked, watching them float away.

She smiled slightly, sniffing as she dragged a hand over her eyes. "Yeah," she said, looking out over the water. "Yeah, I think they would've."

After the boats had disappeared around the bend in the river, Verity and Bill slowly made their way back to the meadow, telling stories about their brothers as they went.

Stan was sitting in the grass, waiting for them patiently. His head was wrapped in bandages, which covered his cheeks and hid some of his hair. A few curls spilled from underneath, and Verity could barely conceal her grin at the sight.

She waved, shielding her eyes against the sun's glare, then moved to sit beside him, blushing happily as he scooted closer, their legs touching.

The others arrived in twos and threes, until the eight of them were together once more, sitting comfortably in the grass.

Beverly spoke up, looking at each of them in turn. "Before you found me.. I can only remember parts but.. I thought I was dead. That's what it felt like."

Her friends listened gravely, not saying a word.

"I saw us, all of us together, back in the cistern. We were older, our parents ages."

"Am I still handsome as an adult?" Richie asked, pressing his hands to his cheeks and pulling a face.

She laughed slightly. "You grow into your looks."

He turned to Eddie, frowning. "What the fuck does that mean?"

"What about me?" Stan said, smiling shyly.

She paused. "Like now, but taller."

His smile widened adorably, and Verity had to fight the urge to pick up her camera and take his picture.

Bill furrowed his eyebrows.
"Wh-What were we all doing?"

"I just remember how we felt. How scared we were.." she trailed off. "I don't think I can ever forget that."

They fell silent, the only sound around them was the birdsong, soft and sweet.

Bill ducked down, plucking a shard of glass from their feet. He held it up, eyes glittering. "Swear it. S-Swear that, if It isn't dead, if It ever comes back, we'll come back too."

Bev got to her feet, her fiery hair glinting in the sun. Then Richie and Eddie, wearing an almost-identical look of determination. Verity looked at Stan, and he nodded, standing with her as the others followed.

Bill brought the razor-edge of the glass along his palm, face screwing up in pain.

Richie swore under his breath as Bill made the cut, putting a hand on Eddie's arm when it was the smaller boy's turn.

Mike winced, shaking his hand and hissing through his teeth.

Next, it was Verity's turn. She gasped as the cool glass bit into her flesh, blood welling from the cut almost instantly. She clutched her hand to her chest, her palm stinging.

She watched anxiously as Bill moved on to Stan. His face twisted in pain when the other boy made the cut, bright blood falling into the grass at their feet.

Bill moved on to Ben, then Beverly, eventually moving to stand in between Richie and Bev again.
He took their hands, and soon the others followed.