Jack lets out a low whistle.  “Cool, this place is already set up for gardening,” Jack comments.   

"The owner is willing to leave all the tools and equipment as part of the purchase price," Dawn says, reading off her phone.  “Let me show you the kitchen,” Dawn says to Ana.  The kitchen has been updated with all state of the art appliances.  What really catches Ana's eye is the window over the sink.  The window looks directly out to the mansion across the street, she stands there for a while staring.  She has a perfect view of the large front parlor window and the mansions kitchen window.  Although a great distance she can swear she sees a figure in the kitchen window as the house again comes alive.   

“Aah!” Ana jumps as Jack puts his arms around her.  She half turns to face him. 

“Sorry, did I scare you?” 

“No, you just startled me is all,” Ana replies, returning her gaze to the window.  Once again the house has returned to its original state, and the figure has vanished. 

“Oh, so what do you think?  It's a great price for the area.  Did you see that garden?  That alone makes it worth the commute.”  

  "Let's make them an offer," Ana replies, her eyes still fixated on the window across the street. 

"A frugal offer," Jack replies, chuckling.   

Surprisingly, their lowball offer is accepted and they move in immediately.  Jack gets right to work fixing up the backyard for the kids and prepping the garden for next spring.  Ana spends a lot of time in the kitchen now using her new appliances.  She finds herself spending more and more time staring at the mansion across the street while doing dishes.  She tells Jack that some day she would like them to buy the old place and fix it up.  Jack explains to her that it would be a huge undertaking and the expense would be beyond his pay grade.  He tells her he can’t understand her fixation with the place and that it looks like it should be condemned.  Ana stares at the mansion every chance she gets.  It now "comes to life" only a few moments after looking at it.   

A few days after getting settled their only neighbor, Rose, stops by with some homemade bread as a housewarming gift.   Ana offers Rose a cup of coffee and they move to the kitchen.  They make small talk until Ana asks Rose about the Mansion across the street.  Rose explains to her that this whole subdivision was built on what was the old mansions property.  That both of their houses were part of  the front "garden" and that they began a house on the other side of her home but never finished past the foundation before abandoning the project.  While she was listening Ana drifted over to the sink and began staring at the mansion out the window.  "It seems to come alive," Ana said more to herself than to Rose.   

"You shouldn’t stare at it too long," Rose says in an almost scolding manner.   

"What did you say?" asked Ana, snapping out of her transfixion.   

"Look at the time, I'm sorry but I must be going.  I'm already running late for my appointment," Rose says as she sets down her cup and makes her way to the front door.  "I'll see myself out, thank you for the coffee.  It was nice meeting you.”  She was out the door before Ana could even follow her.   

That was strange, Ana thought to herself before going back to the kitchen sink to stare out the window as she sips her coffee.  This time rather than to stare at the mansion it was to see if Rose actually left for an appointment.  Rose’s car still had not pulled out of her driveway when she finished her coffee so she begins doing the dishes.