A Crossing Of Paths

Start from the beginning

They drove for another hour and a half and the car finally came to a gradual halt as they finally reached the massive house. The tire grinding softly against the gravel.

She wasn't even completely out of the car when the door opened and her mother hurried out, looking beautiful in her white blouse and cream loose pants.

“Baby!” Her mom exclaimed, getting to where Jennie was in seconds and engulfed her in a tight warm hug. Jennie inhaled her mother's scent that she missed so much, even though her mother visited her in the city three months ago.

“Hey mom, missed you” She said, still squished inside the woman's arms.

“Missed you more” Her mom answered affectionately. “I'm sorry about this, Jennie. But we don't really have a choice.” Minhee Kim’s tone was apologetic as she pulled back from the embrace and looked at her only child. Her precious daughter.

“I came here to tell dad that I'm not going through with this arranged marriage.” Jennie answered resolutely.

“Jen, there's no changing your father's mind. There's too much at stake, we need that land.” Her mother explained as gentle hands cupped Jennie's face.

“Ugh whatever I'm still gonna try.”

“Stubborn girl. Just go inside and freshen up.” Minhee instructed, playfully tapping her daughter's butt to which Jennie rolled her eyes to but followed anyway.

“Your father's out on the field, I'm just gonna go and tell him you're already here.” Her mother called as Jennie made her way up the stairs.

“Don't tell dad I'm here. I hate him right now.”

“Hard-headed girl indeed. This is gonna be a fiasco.” Her mother sighed as she went to the kitchen.

                            © © © © ©

Jennie opened the door to her old room and discovered everything's the same as she left it exactly a year ago. She saw that Myungsoo already put her bags on the bed.

She took a quick shower and changed in comfy shorts and shirt then collapsed on top of her bed. She groaned and snuggled into her pillow, lying on her stomach. Her childhood bed is still the best bed she's been on, the one she had in Seoul just isn't as good.

Her eyes drooped, she hasn't slept well for the past two nights because of this whole problem her father dumped on her. With another soft groan she went out like a light and fell into a deep slumber.

She felt a heavy weight jump on her back in what felt like a minute later. Jennie voiced out her displeasure and the person on top giggled. She opened her eyes when she realised who the sound belonged to.

“Snobby bitch. You didn't even text me to let me know you're home.” Nayeon said as she plopped down beside her on the bed.

“I'm sorry I just got here an hour ago.”

“It's already 3 in the afternoon, you took a 4 hour nap.” Nayeon laughed at her cousin.

“Ugh” She sighed when she looked at her phone and confirmed that Nayeon was right.

“So… I heard your skinny ass is getting married.” Nayeon got comfortable on the bed as she wriggled around and finally settled on her side to look at Jennie with eager eyes.

“Really? That's what you wanna start with?I just woke up from a long nap. It's like you want a slap or something.“ She lightly hit the other girl with a pillow, face grumpy which made Nayeon grin even wider.