She just sat still. Looking down which has been a regular action of hers whenever I am around her.
"Um c...can I l.. leave please" she asked timidly and her voice wavering slightly.

"But you've barely touched your... Fine you can" I said realizing she isn't comfortable around me and my family. 

Immediately I gave her the permission to leave she bolted up from her chair and scurried out like she was being chased.

I sighed. I've lost my appetite.

"We need to talk" dad said softly.
Something I've always wanted from him since Avery ran away.  He spoke to me without swearing or scowling at me.

"Okay" I said and we all stood up and left the dining area.

"The sitting room is fine" dad said when I turned to go to my home office.

We all settled down.

"Did you..... did you always hit her whenever you are around " dad asked with tears in his eyes.

I was shocked. I mean why the question. And for the fact that my father is crying made me want to confess everything that I've done.

"Yes" I answered dropping my head in shame.
Now realizing how vain my actions towards her were.

Dad nodded his head which made a tear fall from his eyes. Mom was just sobbing uncontrollably.
"Did... did you... always love her?"

That question took me by surprise.

"Of course I love her. I love her  more than anything in...

"Then why didn't you always  believe her when she said she was innocent?! " He fumed

Silence.    

"This is all my fault. I should have never trusted that Larson's girl. What's her name, Megan or whatever they call her. I don't want her anywhere around any of my properties I think I made that clear with her father".
He said anger oozing from him.

His demeanor changed when he started talking about Avery.
My baby.

"She always took care of me you know, read me stories like I was a child, she always tells me jokes that we would always laugh about. She always laughed alone then. I wasn't laughing with her on my sick bed then.
You know I never suspected that you were hurting her.
She kept her feelings aside just to take care of me. I didn't hear her mention the beatings you gave her for one day.
She didn't let her  feelings get in the way.
I didn't know that anytime she comes to see me, she gets beaten by you after. Yet she endured all that because of me.
She had no one, she has no one.
We were the only people she knew. Now we broke her trust.
This is all my fault. I shouldn't have drank that coffee that day at  the office" he said.

And all this while, I never knew I was crying. Dad was crying, Mom was crying.

I buried my face in my hands.

I'm terrible. I'm heartless.

I promise you dad, that I'll win her back, I promise that I will never hurt her, I'll keep her safe.
I'll be everything she wants in a man. I'll be her safety.

**********~************

They left. 

I mean MOM and DAD.

I stood up immediately to go check on Avery to see if she was okay.
I entered the room and darkness.
I switched on the lights. F**k she wasn't in bed.

Oh no!  No no no!
Let it not be what I'm thinking.
God please.

I checked the kitchen
   she's not there

I checked the maids room
  She's not there

I checked everywhere. I even had to ask the maids to search for her.
The security guard and all said they didn't see anyone pass apart from my parents.
"Then where did she go" I asked myself  desperately wanting  an answer.

"Avery!  Baby!"
I ran to m.. Our room and opened the bathroom door to find her laying on a towel on the floor.
I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

She's fine, she's safe. I said reassuring my panicked self.

I gently carried her fragile form into the room and placed her gently on the bed.
I stared at her innocent face for I don't know how long.

I was about to go to my side of the bed but...
Something caught my eye. It was on her back. A very large scar.

I skillfully lifted her shirt only to freeze at what I saw.
Four different large scars all over her back.
Please don't tell me I did this.

Oh my goodness!. I am the one who gave her these scars.

Who else? My inner mind mocked.

When we got married her body was smooth and bare.
But now...

Another caught my attention. This one is on her wrist. Its looks healed but its swollen. I touched  it and she stirred.
I froze. Hope I didn't wake her.

Here, in this house, in this bedroom, I made a promise.

I'll make it up to her till the rest of my life. And I'll start tomorrow when she wakes up.

Starting with a breakfast in bed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Yeah yeah...
I'm so sorry for not updating.
I really needed to be in school. I've got to focus cause I'm a senior now so...

I'm sorry there wouldn't be frequent updates but I'll try my best to update.

Thank you for your support through your views, votes and comment. 

«nini»