Footsteps

I was alone in the house as i sleepily glared at the television. I couldn't even tell what I was watching, probably because of the fact that I had one eye closed and the other only half open. My mum was away on her honeymoon with some asshole she decided to marry. Treats me like dirt. Actually that's and understatement, he hates me more than anyone ever did. Oh well, I can't deny I feel the same way about him.
I sit on the cold stone floor with my head propped up with my arm. Suddenly, my arm gave way and I bashed my face against the floor like the idiot I am, waking me up instantly.
"Ah crap" I groaned in agony. I weakly lifted up my phone to check the time. It's almost one o'clock. Jeez, how long have I sat in front of that damn TV. I stood up to turn it off, turn out I was watching a horror movie all along.

I suddenly freeze in fear. I heard a gentle creek coming from the stairs. I stop and listen. So hard that The Sound of my beating heart was pounding in my ears. I heard it again, another creek coming from the stairs. Someone was walking down into the basement. The stairs come round the corner from where the door is so I quickly turn off the TV and leap behind it in terror.
I hear the creaking of the wooden staircase as someone slowly steps down into the basement. Who the hell could it be! Mom said she'd be back in three days. I hear the person finally step down onto the stone floor and then, nothing. Not a sound. There's definitely someone there, I repeat to myself in my head as I urge myself not to stand up.

It's probably just a burglar. I'll let him just take what he wants so he can leave. I sit there in silence listening for a sound, anything, that someone is standing there, in the basement with me. Nothing. I have been sitting here for so long I lose all track of time. How much time has past, ten minutes, half an hour, an hour, I don't know. All I know is that I'm terrified and and I don't want to be in here anymore.

I drool onto the floor, I do not dare swallow and cause myself to be heard. How can a person be standing there for this long without making any noise, or maybe, what. "Oh god" I think to myself, what is that smell. a horrid stench filled the room with what I thought could be easily mistaken for the smell of a rotting animal. I have to get out of here. I need to. I slowly stand up and move along the walls of the room as quietly as I can towards the stairs. I make it to the foot of the stairs only to hear a soft whisper not a few feet behind me. "Stop, where are you going".

I bolt up the stairs not looking back and burst through the front doorway outside. I just keep running and running until I finally stop a safe distance from my house and call the police. A few minutes after they check my house they come back upstairs and tell me that the front door was open and that my neibour was found collapsed on the floor and had suffered from a heart attack.

I felt terrible, knowing that I was sitting there for hours as he was dying. But that still didn't explain the voice I heard. When I asked the policeman about hearing someone talking, he told me they found that the side entrance to the basement was also forcefully opened. They told me they found a footprint in the mud of a bare foot, and that whatever was in that room, if there even was, got away.