Chapter Twenty-Six: You Are Not Alone

Slamming the front door behind him, Thomas shrugged off his coat and hung it up before heading into the living room trying to wrap his head around the mistake that had been made and knowing that this might not end well for him. 

He had not expected the crates to be filled with guns especially when he had sent his men to pick up an entirely different consignment but there was nothing that he could do about it now. 

"Tommy? It's the middle of the night," a voice whispered making Thomas turn around only to be faced with his wife, he hadn't meant to wake her; he hadn't even realised that he'd shut the door that loud. 

His mind too busy racing to work out the next step in what he was going to do, he had been the one to mess up and he would be the one to sort it out before anyone else knew what was happening. 

"What's wrong?" Rosemary asked stepping towards Thomas, she reached out a hand to comfort him seeing the distress across his face; she feared for a moment that John had done something stupid especially while he was grieving for his wife. 

Rosemary would not deny that she was rather upset with John's actions, him bringing whores back to the home that he had shared with Martha now that his wife was gone just did not sit right with her. 

Especially not having watched Martha call that place her home and make sure that it stayed that way during the four years that John had been off fighting in the war. 

"I've gone and fucked it all up," Thomas admitted putting his head in his hands, he dropped back to sit on the couch while he wondered just what he was going to do. 

People would most certainly come looking for the guns and he could not just take them back, it would raise too many questions; he was stuck with them and he could not have them being traced back to his home. 

Rosemary stared at him for a moment before taking a seat next to him, she brushed her fingers through his hair and watched him not sure what he had made a mess of but they could certainly fix it. 

If he were here then Rosemary was most certain that Arthur would not know what had happened, she very much doubted that the older Shelby brother would have let Thomas come home like this before sorting out the issue.

"Then we'll make it right," Rosemary told him, two heads were better than one and she was certain that they would be able to work this out between them; she could keep a secret and she was not going to turn on him. 

Thomas raised his head and looked to Rosemary, she had no idea what she was getting involved in and he was not going to put her in jeopardy because of his mistake; he was not entirely sure what he would do just yet. 

"I am your wife, Tommy. We're in this together no matter what," Rosemary informed him, her fingers tangling in his dark hair and she searched his blue eyes for the answers that she sort. 

The last thing that Rosemary wanted was for a bigger wedge to be driven between them, she knew he was occupying himself with work and had pushed her away but she was sticking by him. 

It did not matter to her what he had done, he was here with her and Rosemary would take that any day than being ignored; a reassuring smile formed on her face as he stared at her. 

"What did I ever do to deserve you?" Thomas asked cupping her face, she was far too good for him and he wondered why she had married him at all sometimes especially given how distant he had been since returning from war. 

There were nights that he did not come home and yet she was always there to greet him when she did; a smile on her face and dinner on the table. 

"Prayed to the right God maybe," Rosemary teased leaning forward and kissing him on the cheek, it was late and she had a feeling that this situation was only the beginning especially if he had screwed up like he said he had.