The second his hand reached towards her face, Sophia spat at his fingers, the small traces of blood there not going unnoticed.

"Vete a la mierda."

"Subject appears to have enough energy to withstand the second portion of the test."

"No--No! Stop! STOP! SOMEBODY, PLEASE HELP ME!!" Sophia screamed the entire duration of the doctor crossing the room to retrieve a lengthy, thick needle, filling it with some sort of luminous purple liquid. Even from where she lay, whatever was inside that vial held a powerful presence inside the room. It had made itself known when a group of them hefted it within a titanium suitcase earlier this morning, treating it as if it were as delicate as a petal.

Clicking his fingernail against the vial, the man's words were monotone and careless as he sited, "Sample extracted. Confirmation to go through with procedure approved by Oscorp. Samples of subject's blood and tissue before injection have been collected. Further samples will follow once the conversion is complete."

"Please," Sophia sobbed, her cheeks suddenly wet with tears. "Please, you don't have to do this. My name is Sophia Rambeau. I have a brother that's in medical school. My father is police chief of district--"

"Administration beginning shortly. Firstly, the subject's arm needs to be prepped for incision."Setting the vial down on a table, the man reached to clean the area just above her wrist, the phantom pain of what was to come already affecting her mental state, shredding it to pieces.

"My NAME is Sophia Rambeau--not subject!" she screamed with barred teeth. "Get your hands OFF of me!"

It felt as if her heart would implode the second she caught sight of his free hand reaching for the vial while the other held her wrist steady. Without even feeling it, fire burst through her veins already at the sight of . . . whatever swirling liquid was inside there.

"Please--please," she practically whimpered. "I want to go home."

For one moment, the man hesitated, pausing the syringe just above the skin of her wrist. Yet his eyes couldn't stand to meet her own as he whispered, "I'm sorry. I have to do this."

"PLEASE! NO!" The rest of her words melded into her painful screams as the needle pierced her skin, the scientist shoving the violet liquid inside her bloodstream.

All she could compare it to were sparks of molten lava incinerating her cells before her thoughts vanished into blinding white pain. She could recognize that the protruding veins across every part of her body were discolored to a deep purple tone--like tiny, physical bruises lining her arms and neck and every inch of skin beneath the hospital dress.

It hurts, it hurts, it hurts, she tried desperately to say to the scientist looming over her with a look of both concern and wonder.

"Subject's physical triggers seems to be adapting to the serum, be it somewhat painful."

Painful.

It was excruciating.

"I-I--" The word was barely able to make it past her shaking lips as her body convulsed violently. But the action caught the man's attention, leaning down to listen to what she was attempting to say. "I . . . w-will--sh--sho--ow . . ."

"What is it?" he said, daring to sound annoyed by her weighted words. "Spit it out."

"S--show . . y-yo--ou . . . painful."

Without really feeling her limbs move, they began to take action on their own in some primal, internal defense built into her genetic code. Through the pain, a burst of otherworldly energy shot forth, springing her hand free from its shackle, latching onto the man's face.