The Reasons Why

September 24, 2006

By some people's standards, their vacation wasn't much more than a weekend getaway.  But for Britney Brown, the trip to the beach had been wonderful.  It was the first vacation she and her mother had been on since her parents' divorce.  They had scrimped and saved for the better part of a year and it had been so worth it.  An oceanfront condo, sunning on the beach, relaxing in the whirlpool—these were the things of dreams.

            With the last of their belongings packed in an old Toyota Corolla, Claudia cranked the car.  "Are you ready?"

            Britney buckled her seatbelt as her mother pulled from the parking lot.  "Thanks, Mom.  This was the best vacation ever."

            Claudia smiled at her daughter.  "Even though there didn't seem to be anyone your age out on the beach?"

            "Even though," Britney replied.

            "I guess that's what we get for scheduling our vacation  in the off season.  Everyone else vacationed before Labor Day—everyone except us and the retirees," she chuckled.

            "One of those retirees certainly seemed interested in you!"  Britney laughed.

            "Who? Sam? Don't even get me started." 

            "Oh was that his name?  I thought it was Jerry Geriatric," Britney teased.

            "Britney Brown! That is so not nice!"

            "But it was funny!"

            "I don't know what I'm going to do with you." Claudia smiled as she popped a Jimmy Buffett CD into the stereo and rolled down her window.  "Might as well enjoy the salty air for a few more minutes."  The sound of a strumming guitar filled the air.  Britney joined her mother in belting out their favorite tunes. 

            It wasn't long before Claudia stopped singing and turned down the music.  "That's weird," she said, her voice sounding concerned.  She slowed the car and pulled onto the shoulder of the road. 

            "What's wrong?"

            "I think we've got a flat."  Exiting the car, she walked to the rear, inspecting the tires.  Sure enough, the rear passenger tire looked like a burnt pancake. 

            Britney opened her door.  "Do we have a flat?"

            "I'm afraid so.  How about opening the trunk.  We've got to unload our luggage so I can get to the spare."

            Britney pressed the trunk release button then climbed out of the car.  This wasn't how she wanted to end her perfect vacation.  She opened the back door and tossed the luggage inside then watched as her mother removed the jack and the spare tire. 

            "This wasn't the place I would have chosen to teach you how to change a tire but I guess it'll have to do."

            "Can't we just call someone?"

            "I don't have access to roadside assistance.  Besides, every girl needs to know how to change a tire.  I don't want you depending on a man to do something that you are capable of doing yourself."

            Britney nodded. "Okay.  So what do we do?"

            "It's been a while since I've changed a tire, but it's not too hard," she said as she positioned the jack.  "First, we've got to loosen the lug nuts.  That's the hardest part." As Claudia picked up the lug wrench, a truck pulled off behind them.