Chapter 3: It's not your fault

Magsimula sa umpisa

I chuckled and gave her my poem. She read it slowly, and it looked like she was...smiling.

Natsuki: I love it.

Natuski whispered. 

Me: What?

Natsuki blushed.

Natuski: I-I said it's alright! I can tell this isn't your first time writing.

Me: Well you aren't wrong. Alright, let me see your poem.

Natsuki hesitantly handed me her poem. I smiled and read it.

This is her poem? It's short but, something tells me it has way more meaning to it than I'm realizing

Natsuki: Well?

I looked at her then back at the paper.

Me: It's rather...simple.

Natsuki scoffed and snatched the paper from my hand.

Natsuki: I should've known you wouldn't have liked it!

Me: I never said that! It's just, it's so short and simple. But don't get me wrong. Most of the good poems are simple, because they have a deeper meaning than what we realize.

Natsuki: Yeah! A poem doesn't have to be 3 paragraphs long or some "too fancy to read" crap. A poem is supposed to be whatever the person's feeling, and they should be able to describe that feeling in a way they see fit.

Me: So what does your poem mean?

She looked at me like she was trying to say something.

Natsuki: Well-

Suddenly the bell rang, and Monika sighed in dissapointment. 

Monika: I lost track of time. Sorry guys.

Sayori: Aww man! I was really looking forward to reading everyone's poems.

I chuckled and packed my things. Me and Natsuki walked out first. I noticed that she was being quiet. I didn't say anything until I noticed a black mark on her forehead. It was covered by her hair so I moved it out of the way, causing her to gasp and slap my wrist away. But I already saw what it was. A bruise.

Me: Natsuki...who did that to you?

Natuski: No one! I just fell and hit my head on the ground! That's all!

She awkwardly laughed and hid the bruise again. I could tell she was lying.

Me: You don't have to lie to me. You can trust me. If it's something bad, my lips are sealed.

Natsuki sighed.

Natsuki: My father...

Me: What?

Natsuki: My father did this to me.

A small tear fell down her cheek. I was shocked. She had an abusive father? Is that why she hurried into her house? Is that why he looked at me like he wanted me dead?

Me: Am I the reason he hit you?

Natsuki: What?! No! Of course not!

Me: You sure? It seemed like he didn't like the thought of me being near you.

Natsuki: He was just in a pissy mood from work. It's not your fault f/n. I promise.

I didn't believe her. It all made sense now. If me and her being friends is going to get her hurt, I guess I'll have to make the sacrifice to stop being friends with her.

Me: I'll see you tomorrow.

I quickly rushed off hoping she wouldn't run after me. Once I got to my house I rushed to my room and sat on my bed. Maybe Monika's the only friend I need.

Hey guys! So I know I have some explaining to do. First off, Halloween is coming up. And me being the cryptic and strange person I am, I've spent over a month planning my costume and buying all the materials and other stuff for it. Secondly, I got a new job. I now work at McDonald's, and they've got me 5-6 days a week for most of the day. Which means between that and school work I haven't found any time to write at all. Thirdly, life's been...rather tough as of late. I'm dealing with a lot right now, so my morale is low at the moment. I'll try to write as much as I can. Just expect slower updates for a bit. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed!