2

The nurse caught us laughing and just stared at us like it was forbidden laughter.
She lowered the tray of water onto the small table between Gracie and me. As soon as she was about to leave, Gracie caught her off-guard. "Hey Perry! Can me and my new friend have the TV remote?"
The nurse (Perry?) nodded and smiled (again) and left. "Hey neighbor! I didn't get your name."
I swallowed my small fear and smiled big. "Ashlei. Ashlei Winston. Call me Lei or Ash." She smiled and chugged the entire glass of water down. "Hey Ash! Do you like SugarPop?" I questioned myself and knew one song. "I heard the song 'Starlight' but that's about it." Gracie dropped her jaw. I turned to check the time. "My mom is checking how I am in about 12 minutes." I looked at the clock and saw that Perry had returned..with the remote. Gracie gracefully took it from her hands. She turned on the TV and clicked to channel 4.5. I saw SugarPop's iconic symbol. As soon as the first song was starting, my mom popped in the doorway. Gracie was a little shocked and turned the volume to a whisper. My mom started to whisper to Gracie & started laughing.
"Wait..are you saying that Ash rolled down a hill.."
"Oh my gosh! That is so funny!"
I sat up and grabbed my mom's arm. "Stop! Mom!! She's my friend! Not a family member!" I laughed and gave her a tight squeeze. I kissed my mom on the top of her head. I watch as my mother talks to the nurse standing in the doorway, nods and walks away. I look at the doorway and watch as my anxiety camps at the door. I hear Gracie get up and slam the lights off. I curl up into a ball in the small bed as Gracie quietly searches movies on FlipFlim. I watched the TV turn off and heard the small creaks of Gracie's bed, but I also took note of Gracie's snoring.