Part 1

Gemma Sullivan smiled as she put the last touches of makeup on her face.

Gemma had been dating Mat Barzal for almost two years now, and she couldn't be happier. They were each other's best friend, and they supported each other in everything they did. She lifted him up when he had a bad game or when the Isles were losing, and he had been her biggest cheerleader through college and supported her career aspirations. Gemma was going to graduate from college in three months, and then apply to master's programs to earn an MA in history. Before she could even apply, though, she had to finish her senior thesis. She just took a major step forward this morning when she handed in her full draft for her advisor to edit. Today was also her 22nd birthday, so Mat was going to take her out to a fancy restaurant to celebrate.

Honestly, Gemma was happy that the draft was done because this past month, she had been writing so much that she'd barely been able to spend quality time with Mat. She couldn't wait to get back a semblance of normalcy, and tonight would be the beginning of that.

Gemma walked out of the bathroom and into hers and Mat's bedroom, where her red dress was on a hanger. Red was Mat's favorite color on her, and she bought the dress for that reason. She wanted to surprise him. Gemma slipped it on and zipped it; thank God the zipper was on the side and not the back. She looked at the clock on the night table, and it read, to her surprise, 8:30PM. Their reservations were at 8:45, and Mat was supposed to be home at 8, so she didn't bother setting an alarm to make sure she stayed on schedule. Was it possible that he forgot? Gemma immediately shut down that thought. There was no way he forgot; he was probably just running late from hanging out with Tito. She grabbed her heels and sat on the bed, putting each shoe on. As soon as she was done, she heard the front door open.

"Gemma?" Mat called, but his voice wasn't clear like it normally was.

"Where are you?" he called again, and when Gemma heard his staggered footsteps coming towards the bedroom, her heart dropped.

"Hey, babe, there you are!" Mat wasn't just drunk: he was absolutely hammered. His hair was disheveled, and his eyes were glazed over. He approached the bed and gave Gemma a sloppy kiss on the top of her head, and she smelled his breath, which reeked of vodka. This kind of behavior was completely out of character for him, and she could barely believe her eyes (or her nose).

"Babe, what happened? We have dinner reservations in 15 minutes," Gemma said, concerned.

"I was out with Tito and some of the boys," Mat replied, "and it was totally epic!" He dissolved into a fit of hysterical laughter and stumbled into Gemma's lap. Not wanting to smell of alcohol, she shoved him off and onto the bed next to her.

"You look so sexy. Is this all for me?" Mat asked.

"We're supposed to go out to dinner in 15 minutes," she repeated.

"Why?"

Gemma's heart sunk even further.

"It's my birthday, Mat," she said.

"Oh yeah, I forgot." He looked at her, expecting an answer, but she was silent, trying to keep herself from crying. Presumably to fill the silence, Mat said, "Whoops, my bad," and started laughing again.

His laugh set Gemma off.

"You forgot? You fucking FORGOT?" she exploded. "I'm generally easygoing, but today of all days? Really?"

"Jesus, Gem, relax. We celebrated it on another day last year, so we can do it again this year."

"Are you saying that you're bailing on dinner tonight?" she asked.