Nine

Billy sits in the corner of the room, staring at you from behind a lock of hair that had fallen in his face. You can hear him fiddling with the lighter in his jacket pocket. His gaze never breaks from yours, even while he's answering questions your mother is throwing at him. It isn't until a small, fuzzy picture of your baby pops up on the ultrasound screen that he finally takes his eyes off you.

You watch Billy as you're told you're having a little girl. He lets out a nervous laugh and smiles, tears welling up in his eyes. His lips press against your temple and he says he hopes she's like you. Just like you.

You ride home with Billy. He keeps putting his hand on the small swell of your stomach, or brushing your cheek with the back of his hand. He can't stop smiling.

"I don't think I've ever seen you actually excited for this baby," you say carefully.

He shrugs. "I've been trying to distance myself. I kept thinking you would change your mind. Or I would fuck up and lose you. But, now..." He smiles. "Now I feel like things are going to be okay." You mirror Billy's smile. Yeah, it did feel like things were going to be okay.

*

Monday is the first day back at school after you and Billy got back together. Everyone notices. While you are on your way to class, you cut through the cafeteria. Billy is sitting with his friends, not eating. A senior girl sits next to him and leans over.

"So," she says, twirling her hair around her finger, "are you really back together with the Princess?" She props a fist under her chin and stares up at Billy. "Did she tell you whose it is?"

You can see Billy sigh. "Fuck it," he says and clambers up onto the table. "Alright," he yells and everyone looks over at him. "Since everyone seems so damn interested... I'm the one who knocked up (Y/N) Harrington. So back the fuck off of her. Anyone bothers my girls again, you're fucking dead."

The principal comes charging out of his office, yelling at Billy to get off the table. Billy jumps down and catches your eye. He winks and smiles before slipping away from the principal.

Word spreads fast, and soon everyone finally knows your baby is Billy's. You get a lot of weird looks. It seems people didn't really know what to think.

Even Steve is getting a lot of attention for it. Everyone wants to know how he feels about you 'betraying him' and 'sleeping with the enemy.' You just can't catch a break.

Over the next few weeks, you have and overhear a lot of weird conversations and questions. A lot of guys keep asking Billy what it's like fucking a pregnant girl. Or if your tits are full of milk yet, because they look like they're getting bigger. Though Billy was definitely a different person than he was when you first met, he was still Billy, and that meant gladly sharing details of his sex life. You didn't mind.

A few people ask how it happened, to which Billy is fairly certain he just didn't pull out in time. Two girls even have the gall to ask Billy if he'd knock them up, too, since he seems so excited to be having a kid and the thought of being pregnant will Billy Hargrove's baby was exciting to them. It creeped you the fuck out.

*

You're waiting for Billy to take you shopping for things for the baby. He's a half hour late when you finally hear his Camaro roar up your driveway. You answer the door with a huge smile, but feel it fall as soon as you see Billy.

A bruise is blooming beneath his eye and there's a cut above his eyebrow. There's a shadow of a bruise on his neck as well. You open your mouth to ask what happened, but he shakes his head.

He doesn't speak until you're almost to the store. "My dad found out," he finally says. His voice is hoarse. "He's, uh... He's not too happy."

"Billy," you breathe. "I'm so sorry."

He grimaces. "It's okay. The two of you are worth it."

"How bad is it?" you ask, afraid to know.

He tries to shrug, but hisses in pain instead. "I'll be fine."

You browse the store, picking out cute baby clothes and all manner of supplies. You can tell Billy is distracted. He has no opinion on anything you show him. You can't blame him. He just stands with his arm around you or his hand on your belly, and stares off into space.

You look up at Billy and notice a middle aged couple behind him, staring at you. The man shakes his head when his wife whispers something to him. You know they're judging you and it pisses you off.

It happens a few more times with other customers, but Billy doesn't seem to notice. It isn't until you're throwing your shopping bags in his back seat with more force than is strictly necessary, that he realizes something is wrong.

"I'm just so tired of people judging me when they realize I'm pregnant," you say after he asks what's wrong.

"Babe, who gives a shit what they think? It's our baby and we're both happy. That's all that should matter."

You sigh. "I know, it's just... Nobody looks at you the way they look at me."

Billy gives you an apologetic smile and starts up the car. "I know it's hard on you. I'm sorry for that. But I don't regret what happened. I hope you don't either."

Of course you didn't.