Chapter One

I dedicate this chapter to my good friend furkan97 who helped me pick out the cover, make some major decisions, and most of all endured my constant insecurities about if and how to 'publish' this story! :D

"Where the hell is that little cake-eater? He should be here by now," the distorted voice comes from the transceiver in my hand to pull me back to focus.

"I know," I reply while pushing the button on its side.

I'm crouched down behind a bush that goes right up to the muddy pathway of the park. I look over to the young boy across from me, hiding behind a tree as he looks back at me in confusion. I don't react but I know that he knows it's not personal. I need him for this undertaking but I also need to stay focused.

Our position isn't ideal at all. The park is deserted and gives us a generous amount of concealment to the sordid buildings at its egdes, but the van is about a hundert yards away. We wouldn't have been able to hide it properly if we'd have parked it any closer.

So now they wait for us on a narrow gravel path that rarely is occupied. It's risky, but we dealt with much more dangerous situations in the past. And besides, if people saw or heard anything, they'd probably just shut their windows and draw the curtains anyways.

After a few minutes of shifting on my already sore legs, I register faint thuds on the pavement coming closer. As I peek through the leaves of the bush, I can see a tall figure running towards us. He is wearing loose running shorts and a hoodie like always and his headphones are covering his ears.

"He's coming," I whisper into the transceiver and wait.

"Yes. I see him. We're ready," Zayn's voice replies, before I curtly nod and turn the device off. Stretching my legs slightly, I push the transceiver in my back pocket, after I've retrieved my jack knife from it.

I look over to Evan on the other side of the pathway as he nods with his eyes locked on me. His face wears a determined expression as he fiddles with the small sack in his hands.

The jogger's footsteps get louder by the second. As he jogs past us, unaware of our presence, both Evan and I jump out of our hideouts and tackle the guy immediately.

My knife flies to his throat, the same moment as Evan shoves the sack over our victim's head. The second it is placed, I press my other hand over the part of the fabric that covers his mouth and hold him in place. The whole move takes so little time that the boy only now starts to react and trash out at me. He's a few inches taller than I but that doesn't keep me from pressing his back against my chest with my arms, the knife still at his throat.

"Stop moving, you idiot! Or you're going to slit your throat all by yourself," I snarl at him and increase the pressure of the knife. The boy lets out a loud groan, muffled by my hand, but stills for a flash of a moment.

A proud grin sneaks onto my lips as Evan manages to force the rich guy's arms to his back and clicks the handcuffs in place.

It takes our combined effort to push the boy towards the waiting van since he still thrashes around with all his force. In the end we rather drag him than anything else while trying to keep as quiet as we can.

When we reach the van, Carlos is already standing in the back of the open trunk, slightly hunched over. The boy in our arms is still furiously struggling and letting out angry groans.

Carlos gives me a questioning look.

"Go ahead." I nod.

Then I tilt my head away and release my hand over the tall guy's mouth, just as Carlos punches him straight into the side of his head.

We shove the now limp body into the truck and I fist bump my mate for the on point blow. He really has knocking people out up to a science. Thank God, I got him on my side.

I close the trunk doors behind Carlos and Evan and climb onto the passenger seat in the front.

After I closed the door, I give a small smile to Zayn who is sitting behind the wheel.

"You guys alright?" he askes with a small smile in return.

"Yeah... sure. Now get going, man." I chuckle.

Zayn's smile grows into a grin while shaking his head, and he pulls out onto the street.

Comment and vote if you liked it!