6 | c o n f e s s i o n o n e

Start from the beginning

"come on then." mike said, stopping his chuckles and layering his voice in a dip of seriousness.

"come on, what?"

"why were you crying?"

max rolled her eyes as she side glanced at mike. "i am not telling you."

"why not?"

"because it's stupid, selfish and.. a-and every other word that could mean something bad!"

"well, i like things 'stupid', 'selfish' and 'every other word that could mean something bad." mike laughed, "so, come on and tell me alread-"

"i wanted you."

silence could have killed her on the spot, and max would have thanked them. considering mike look away to stare at the ground between his knees and not even in her direction was painful enough.

"i wanted you since the moment we met, but i knew you would never want me nor want to return the feeling i've felt for you. so when lucas asked me out around last year, i felt this chance of escapism ... in a form of an e-epiphany, i guess? maybe he was the one i was suppose to love all this time, anyways he was kind, funny and obviously - at the time - a little handsome. and for that dance we shared in that same year, i thought of only him and i, not you and me, but when i kissed him, i knew i was wrong about everything, it only caused my desire to be with you to grow stronger and more determined to get what i wanted."

max breathed a chuckle, laughing internally how pathetic she must of sounded to her longest longing crush, however she continued because she realized that she can't turn back from what she had revealed to him and would rather say the rest of it than bottling it up and hiding like the last piece of the puzzle that could give you the entire picture.

"but every time i saw you and jane kiss, hug or even hang around each other, i felt like it was another step back to the progress and confidence i was continuously encourage to build up to be able to tell you how i felt - just to hold onto that hope that you might have changed your mind about me." the redhead looked away from mike, and looked down the other side of the corridor, creeping max out slightly by how empty and dark it seemed in her eyes. "but here i am now, exposing myself to the person i always wanted to be the best around at a time when it was unexpected, unwanted and unprepared for making myself appear like a darn fool. now look at me, i'm that girl crying in her pretty prom dress, and it's all because of you, michael wheeler."

max couldn't stand the silence that filled the gap between the two teenagers, the seconds felt like minutes, minutes felt like hours as time ticked aggravatingly slow. mike hadn't even bothered to speak, move or even move his eyes to gaze in her general direction. was this a rejection? did mike not return the feelings a certain girl other, than his girlfriend, has felt for him for over three years? was she back down to square zero? was mike going to start hating her again? was he going to begin calling her names and leaving her out of party meetings, days outs and sleepovers all over again?

the girl wearing the red dress had soon had enough of tormenting herself with all these thoughts, when all she needs to do is ask the person - who is why she's been thinking so much for so little - to speak, letting them release their side of the story, but it was too late for that, she had let valuable minutes past when wheeler could had spoken but had chosen not to.

suddenly she stood up, staring down at the boy that had looked at her confused as he was using his elbow for support after the only head rest near him and fled him. "i feel so stupid, how could i even allow myself to drop down this low in terms of emotion. oh yeah, because of you, you bastard! god i could murder you over the way you make me feel on a daily basis, but i can't because then i have nothing worth getting out of bed for, no-one worth the while to get all pretty and act all cool."

"max, i-"

"ah, n-no no! sh-shut up!", max cried, the fountains pouring from her eyes getting harder and more stronger ached her face so much from living, but at the same time she had never felt more alive by getting this all off her chest. "i don't want you to ever talk, walk or even look at me ever again, i-i want nothing to d-do with you. you're de-dead to me, wheeler!" she screamed, trying to run away in her heels, the pain in her head too overpowering the one in her body.

she struggled as the water in her right and fluorescent eyes clouded up her eyes, she was stumbling and reached her arms up to feel the lockers as a steady guide to lead her back to the hall, where she could properly leave this bad, bad situation.

her ears were too busy preoccupying max's mind with the sound of rushing blood to focus on the call and cry outs for her. max's head was spinning out of control, her breaths were shaky and irregular in frequency - max often pushing down the oxygen in her lungs to overcome some body pain and only to release it when she can hold it in no longer.

---

a/n

wow, what a long-ish chapter,

sorry for not updating sooner,

but i really like this chapter and i hope you do too!

love you all!
💘